How can I get Task scheduler to open a picture file without the prompt "How Do You Want To Open This File?" ? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 8.0

The task should be simple. I don't want to be so engrossed in my work on my computer as to miss picking up my daughter from the school bus. (Phone alarms have let me down in the past with dead bat issues etc.) So I thought I'd simply use the task scheduler to throw up a photo on the screen in front of reminding me to get off the computer and go to the bus stop.

However, each time the program is run (which is simply C:/alarm.jpg - I even placed it back in root C in an effort to solve the problem - to no avail) It just brings up a "How do you want to open this file?"

Yes I know what you might say - that's a good enough alarm anyway - but that's not the point. I had originally used an mp3 file so the music would play loud (that way even if I'm at the loo or on the phone I would hear it) but I scrapped that and because it too failed to load and I tried using the picture file instead, thinking surely IT would have no problem loading Windows Photo viewer!!!

When the dialogue opens up ad asks "How do you want to open this file?"
    It already has listed at the top the very first option "CONTINUE USING WINDOWS PHOTO VIEWER" so it KNOWS that is the default program  - so why on earth is it asking????

I had the same problem with a music file despite the fact that the default MP3 player is VLC media player.

The arguments and start-in fields are blank.

What is the point of a scheduler that will not do what it is scheduled to do?

Any help appreciated.

P.S. Previous question similar to this were asked but they were about vbs scripts not just trying to open a jpg image. and no suggestions in those replies helped anyway. I don't any spaces in the file name and I even have the file located directly on C root directory.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:41 PM

Answers