none
Backup RDS vm's using User Profile Disks RRS feed

• Question

• I have several vm's on a 2008 r2 cluster. Managed by VMM 2012 R2, and backed up with DPM 2012 R2.

2 of these VMs are running Remote desktop services.

The RDS vms are using User Profile Disks for storing the user profiles. These UPD disks are vhd's that is beeing mounted as a user logs in, and dismounted when they log out.

Im able to backup all other vms besides theese two, and i am pretty sure it has to do with the vhd's being mounted inside the vm.

The error i get is: 

//

The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: VssError:The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried,
    the error is likely to reoccur.
     (0x800423F4))

//

I think i can get around the problem by installing a dpm agent inside the vm. But that would cost more in lisensing, hosts are datacenter. Not a very big deal for only theese two vms, but it will be when i upgrade all the other terminal servers. And item recovery is not a priority since no important files are stored on the vms. Getting the RDS server as a vm up an running, is.

Is there a way to get DPM to backup theese vm with UPD's mounted?

It might work to force user logout before backup, but that will be a lot of managing, if you get a lot of servers. I cant seem to predict the sequence that the servers are backed up in. Unless you make a protection group for each terminal server. 

Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated, i just want to find the best way to deal with this before i start getting alot of RDS servers using UPD. Stopping to use UPD is not an option, because that has solved a ton of other problems for me:)

Friday, March 14, 2014 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Fredrick,

I am not an RDS expert but will try to help you brainstorm a solution. Have you thought about creating a protection group just for these VM's and making sure the backup happens after hours when no one will be logged in? Maybe that way the UPD's will not be mounted. Also have you looked at the pre- and post backup scripts? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj244602.aspx

Maybe these will help you better manage if you need to force user logout before backup.

You could certainly put the DPM agent in the VM's themselves and do a BMR backup but backing up at the VM level will be a better option.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:28 PM