none
Trying to repair the MBR Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive got to small (120gb) so I got a 500gb to replace it. When I tried cloning it over the cloning failed because of errors on the source drive. I then used chkdsk /f to repair the source drive and somewhere along the way it lost the MBR.

I only have an old windows 7 machine to work from, and I can not find bootrec.exe to try and repair the boot partition.

HELP!!!!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Charles Faulk,

Since clone software frequently cause system corruption and it’s not fixable. We recommend performing a clean install for system installation on new hard disk.

About repairing broken Master Boot Record

As Noel mentioned, you could initially try to fix the problem using Startup Repair, the next and certain choice is using the Bootrec.exe command to fix a missing or broken Master Boot Record in Windows 8. Here’s how you do it:

Step 1: Insert the Windows 8 Installation Disc in your system’s optical drive, or use a bootable USB for that matter, and make sure you boot your PC using this removable media.

Step 2: On the Install now screen, select Repair your computer.

Step 3: On the next screen, choose Troubleshoot, followed by Advanced options.

Step 4: From Advanced options, launch a command prompt windows, and enter the following command:

bootrec /FixMbr

Step 5: Once the command is finished, reboot your computer the normal way.

Warm reminder: During the process you need installation DVD for repair. Since third party clone software frequently cause system corruption and it’s not fixable. We only recommend two ways for system installation on new hard disk: performing a clean install or using windows system image restore and both ways need reactivation.

Regards

Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:06 AM
  • If you will you use the method that DiWuNewfolder told you, you can also use the following command after "bootrec /FixMbr".

bootrec /FixBoot

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:32 PM

All replies

• Do you have a Win 8.1 DVD to boot from?  If so, boot it - I believe you can use the Win Recovery Environment to do a boot repair.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:10 AM
  • I made a boot usb from another win 8.1 machine and using tools to do the repair did not work. I am now trying the long way starting with diskpart an bootfix.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:41 PM
  • Hi Charles Faulk,

Since clone software frequently cause system corruption and it’s not fixable. We recommend performing a clean install for system installation on new hard disk.

About repairing broken Master Boot Record

As Noel mentioned, you could initially try to fix the problem using Startup Repair, the next and certain choice is using the Bootrec.exe command to fix a missing or broken Master Boot Record in Windows 8. Here’s how you do it:

Step 1: Insert the Windows 8 Installation Disc in your system’s optical drive, or use a bootable USB for that matter, and make sure you boot your PC using this removable media.

Step 2: On the Install now screen, select Repair your computer.

Step 3: On the next screen, choose Troubleshoot, followed by Advanced options.

Step 4: From Advanced options, launch a command prompt windows, and enter the following command:

bootrec /FixMbr

Step 5: Once the command is finished, reboot your computer the normal way.

Warm reminder: During the process you need installation DVD for repair. Since third party clone software frequently cause system corruption and it’s not fixable. We only recommend two ways for system installation on new hard disk: performing a clean install or using windows system image restore and both ways need reactivation.

Regards

Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:06 AM
  • If you will you use the method that DiWuNewfolder told you, you can also use the following command after "bootrec /FixMbr".

bootrec /FixBoot

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:32 PM