none
Project Reporting RRS feed

• Question

• We have implemented Project Portfolio and PWA.  Now we are finding that some projects that have been logged into the system are not being worked, for one reason or another.

What I am interested in is some advice on best practices regarding using the system to ensure that projects are progressing as planned.  I imagine that there are many ways to do this, and am interested in finding out what is recommended.

Is there some standard process that allows the Project/Portfolio Analyst to utilize the collected data to improve the liklihood of productively achieving the intended results of more projects being better managed to be completed on time and within budget?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Chas Roberts
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Chas,

What I do is each week or month, create a report from OLAP cube that shows how many hours enter for each week/month on a project and how many hours enter by resources.

I sent report to all resources and key managers.  Once project work time gets more visiablity on a regularly basis, it puts pressure on resources and project managers to use the system

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Thanks, Michael,

I am thinking of the following:

EPM Operations Schedule

1.       On a weekly basis, ensure that the projects in PPS have made progress.

a.       If there are any that are not started, or have not moved since last look, send an email if it has not yet been sent.  If it was sent longer than a week ago, send again.

2.       If any project has been approved and subsequently selected by the “Optimizer”, then create a skeleton WBS and initiate it on PWA PS.

3.       Every Wednesday morning, send a reminder email to all PM’s to remind them to update their active projects with additional time spent and note movement toward completion.

4.       Scrutinize the PS Status, and if there has been no additional progress (as per 15% last week and still 15% this week) then send email to the PM of record

Seems like a lot of manual procedure but I am not sure how it could be automated, reporting wise.  The PPS and PS report tools are pretty limited, IMHO.

Remember, I am looking for an automated procedure that someone may have developed... Maybe I can develop a small MS Access application to partially automate the thing? Has anyone done that?

Charles

Chas Roberts
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Hey Chas,

That sounds like some good reports.  It is manual process.  If you want to automate, then you need to link Reporting Services to SharePoint and then you can have reports schedule to run on a regular basis.

Access may work.  I haven't personally done this, but you could probably link the tables and create some kind of automated process.   Let me know if you get that working.  That would be a good white paper tool, if it is easy.

Cheers.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:38 PM
  • I unproposed this as an answer because as originally stated I am looking for a way to automate this...

Anyone else have any advice?

I hate to reinvent the wheel.

Charles

Chas Roberts
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:28 PM
  • As Michael said you can easily automate report generation using SQL Server Reporting services.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Does anyone have any examples of access reports that might prove useful?  Is there an existing Access database that has been developed for this purpose?  What in particular would be interesting to highlight in custom reporting to illustrate the progress or lack thereof of the projects involved?

I am marking this unanswered, because there have only been general suggestions and no  substantive examples yet.

Cheers!

Chas Roberts
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:54 PM
  • As stated, this is not yet an answer, I am looking for some real suggestions on what would be illustrative of project progress to an executive viewpoint.  There must be someone with some good examples?  Prior access database and report via link?

Cheers!

Chas Roberts
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hello Chas,

I would achive your goal with the help of Business Intelligence & Workflow based on your business requirement.

If you are in PPS 2007, then SQL server reporting services will help you to build the report. As you know PPS  is already integrated with SSRS for reporting. It is really easy to build the data by selecting the required Fields in the GUI format.

If any project has been approved and subsequently selected by the “Optimizer”, then create a skeleton WBS and initiate it on PWA PS.

As you know Project server and PPS are two independent applications. So PPS optimizer cannot trigger a job in project server.

Every Wednesday morning, send a reminder email to all PM’s to remind them to update their active projects with additional time spent and note movement toward completion.

Scrutinize the PS Status, and if there has been no additional progress (as per 15% last week and still 15% this week) then send email to the PM of record

Create event handlers to trigger this job based on your requirement.

How to: Write and Debug a Project Server Event Handler
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms469450(v=office.12).aspx

Otherwise, you can write code to trigger the email as per your requirement, later you can schedule through windows scheduler. 

I may create a support incident or involve microsoft consulting / partners for implementation.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Thank you Sriram.

As you reviewed from my original request, there are things that cannot be done fully automated due to the disparity between PS and PPS.  For this reason I am leaning toward an Access system to manage the manual scrutinization tasks.

I was hoping that someone had "blazed that trail" before, but it looks as though I wil need to reinvent the wheel, as I must get this done without outside consulting/partners.

Cheers!

Chas Roberts
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Not sure what Access will bring in addition to all the suggestions above. Project Server's data is already stored in a relational and decisional databases so no need for another data store I believe. Have you looked at 2010? A single data store will make your life a lot easier that 2007.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Thanks Christophe,

At this point, 2010 is inside the shop window, making me yearn.

I am using 2007 now and must get this to work ASAP.  I do not have access to tools or data dictionaries to use the native PPS/PS DB's, so I am doing what I can — which is replicating it to my desktop and analyzing it there, producing reports as required.

My original question was relating to what sort of reporting is likely to satisfy the executive need for feedback?  Some from PS, some from PPS, but what is likely to be the most interesting way to demonstrate forward motion on Projects (or the lack thereof...)

Chas Roberts
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:31 PM
  • I unmarked this as an answer, since I am still very interested in what reporting others may be using to demonstrate progress in PPS and PS environments.

Surely there must be someone somewhere that may read this and be willing to share their strategy.

Cheers!

Chas Roberts
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:41 PM
  • well this thread could last a while then :) maybe you should start a new one!
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi Christophe,

That's okay — sometimes it takes the right person reading the thread to make the desired contribution.  If it goes a month with no additional replies, I'll ask again on a new thread.

Cheers!

©®

Chas Roberts
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Just to throw another potential solution out there....Enterprise Content Types and SharePoint lists.  I have a post scheduled for next week that substantively walks you through how to do that - and talks about why an automated solution wouldn't be optimal.

It would work with PPS as well, I would imagine.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:29 PM
  • That sounds interesting Andrew, please ping me when it is posted?

©®

Chas Roberts
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Closing this thread since no-one has added further comments. Please start a new one if you have further questions.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:31 AM