short term tape based protection RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I am taking short term protection using tape for file server. and retention period is 2 weeks. so it is weekly full backup (which is defined in short term protection)

i can see that after 7 days it is taking new tape for full backup and for incremental backup.

i want to minimize usage of tapes. how can i do that? since a lots of space is wasted on tape.

--joseph

Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is by design and no way to change it.

See the following TechNet page:

How DPM Uses Tape Libraries
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757885.aspx

Short-term tape "full and incremental" option

The full backup will require a free tape for each scheduled job, and the incremental backup for all data sources will be appended to a single separate tape.

As tapes fill up, new free tapes will be allocated.

When the next full backup occurs, it will require another free tape, and subsequent incremental backups will be appended to another free tape.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:21 PM