none
combining two protection groups on tape RRS feed

• Question

• I have two protection groups which need different routine backups (one is many times per day, one is 3 times per week).  They are both relativly small and i would like to back them both up to a single tape once per week.  Is this possible?

or is it possible to set a particular protection group to always start a new tape and others to append.

I couldn't find much when i tried searching on this topic.

thanks

bj

Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:28 PM

Answers

• Both protection groups using same tape is possible if you use Tape collocation, but this do not gurantee that a tape is used to its full capacity due to offsiting. It creates backups on a single tape as long as so that newer backups expiry do not deviate much from the backups already present on the tape so that the tape can be erased and re-used later easily.

For the second if you don't use tape collocation the new backup always goes to a new tape but at the same time it do not allow some other protection group data being written on to this tape.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:29 AM Missed another part of the question
    • Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:28 AM

All replies

• Both protection groups using same tape is possible if you use Tape collocation, but this do not gurantee that a tape is used to its full capacity due to offsiting. It creates backups on a single tape as long as so that newer backups expiry do not deviate much from the backups already present on the tape so that the tape can be erased and re-used later easily.

For the second if you don't use tape collocation the new backup always goes to a new tape but at the same time it do not allow some other protection group data being written on to this tape.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:29 AM Missed another part of the question
    • Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:28 AM
  • thanks - i will lookup Tape Colocation
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:40 PM