none
Scavenging + Timestamps + All things DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all. There are multiple DNS servers in my environment (2003 x 3, 2012 x 4).

I recently configured DHCP to manage DNS. I enabled DNS scavenging.

Another change. Preferred/Alternate DNS values have been updated to reference new 2012 DNS servers.

Domain Controllers

Site A - Preferred Site B Alternate Site A

Site B - Preferred Site A Alternate Site B

Servers:

Site A - Preferred Site A Alternate Site B

Site B - Preferred Site B Alternate Site A

Recently DNS records for servers/ESXi host etc have been deleted (scavenged) + other devices I am unaware of I am sure of. On review I note some records Timestamp = static whilst others have a timestamp date that has expired (and will be scavenged).

Prior to implementing scavenging I was not overly concerned as I thought Windows clients with static IP's on adapters would re-register in DNS. This does not appear to have happened.

I was going to uncheck setting 'Delete this record when it becomes stale' on all servers to convert to Static entry.

Question: Is this a good approach or should I run ipconfig /regeisterdns so the client maintains it's entry?

I ran ipconfig /registerdns on a single server and the timestamp did not update. I have reviewed properties of the record and although SELF has 'Special' a further review indicates no permission entries.

Question: If I manually re-add scavenged DNS records on Server A will they replictae to Server B or will Server B replicate to server A and remove the entry?

Thanks,

Phil.

Monday, April 25, 2016 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

>>Question: Is this a good approach or should I run ipconfig /regeisterdns so the client maintains it's entry?

1.Uncheck setting 'Delete this record when it becomes stale'

2.Check setting 'Delete this record when it becomes stale' , Static records should have a timestamp of 0 indicating do not scavenge. 

>>Question: If I manually re-add scavenged DNS records on Server A will they replictae to Server B or will Server B replicate to server A and remove the entry?

If you set one primary zone and one secondary zone on you network,it only copy from primary zone to secondary zone by zone transfer.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:43 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. The Primary zone is AD integrated. I suppose my question is as follows:

Server A & server B running 2012 DNS for Primary Zone (AD Integrated. Secure updates only)

I update a DNS record on Server A. This will replicate and will evgentually display on Server B.

What happens if I update record on Server A then same record on Server B. I guess the last change would be the one that replicates.

[quote]

1.Uncheck setting 'Delete this record when it becomes stale'

2.Check setting 'Delete this record when it becomes stale' , Static records should have a timestamp of 0 indicating do not scavenge. 

[/quote]

When I perfromed steps 1 and 2 on a staic record for a server a timestamp was added (not 0).

Thanks,

Phil.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Hi Phil,

Sorry for delay.Here is the similar thread for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e574b6e8-33ea-4d03-af9d-ff712c456da1/dns-scavenging-and-record-timestamp?forum=winserverNIS

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:00 AM