Xp Home, Install with SP2, Downloaded SP3, works ok, downloaded remainding updates, now in endless boot loop RRS feed

• Question

• Formatted HD, Loaded XP Home SP2, downloaded SP 3, worked ok, downloaded remaining updates, now it boots to the splash xp screen with the little blue bar across the bottom and then it going into an endless reboot. Booted in safe mode, used restore to go back past sp3 and system works ok. Downloaded updates again and having same problem. Formatted HD again and did complete reinstall, still having the same problem. Tried replacing GDI32.dll file, didn't help.

Dell Diemension 4550, P4, 2.53GHz, 512 mem

Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:32 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can try a set of 10-15 updates at one time and check where its stopping. Or you may check windowsupdate.log file for errors, if any

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Even though I have tried this option several times over the years, I haven’t every had a positive result from it. Instead of going to safe mode and using restore, I chose “boot to last know good configuration” and it booted without a problem. Used windows update to move forward with downloading all the remaining updates, noticed it did the “installing the latest update package thing” Soon as it finished, I rebooted and the problem was back. I did the boot to last know good configuration and it fixed the problem. Went back to the update site and it once again ask to install the latest download software. I clicked “no” Instead of using win Update site, I just waited for windows to automatically download the updates when it wanted to. Looks like that has bypassed the problem for now. So far so good

• Marked as answer by foxtrot722 Sunday, August 4, 2013 9:59 PM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 9:59 PM

All replies

• Which updates are causing this issue?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:22 AM
  • After installing SP3, everything works ok. When I go to start menu and select Windows update, it finds about 100 more. I click “select all” and allow it to do the completely download and install all of them. I hope the solution isn’t to download all 100+ one at a time and reboot.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Yes, you can try a set of 10-15 updates at one time and check where its stopping. Or you may check windowsupdate.log file for errors, if any

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Any updates?

Friday, August 2, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Even though I have tried this option several times over the years, I haven’t every had a positive result from it. Instead of going to safe mode and using restore, I chose “boot to last know good configuration” and it booted without a problem. Used windows update to move forward with downloading all the remaining updates, noticed it did the “installing the latest update package thing” Soon as it finished, I rebooted and the problem was back. I did the boot to last know good configuration and it fixed the problem. Went back to the update site and it once again ask to install the latest download software. I clicked “no” Instead of using win Update site, I just waited for windows to automatically download the updates when it wanted to. Looks like that has bypassed the problem for now. So far so good

• Marked as answer by foxtrot722 Sunday, August 4, 2013 9:59 PM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 9:59 PM