Method to block callers without using DnD? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if there was a method to block calls without using Do NOt Disturb? Ideally, I would like to block all calls that do not originate from numbers in my corporate directory, or contact list. I know Cisco has something like this with its Personal Assistant software.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:14 PM

All replies

• There is no easy way to do this. You could add everyone you wish to be able to contact you when you are in Do No Disturb to Team level access. This probably isn't practical for your whole corporate directory. Your other option which is equally bad is to add the people you don't want to contact you to your Blocked list when you do not wish to be disturbed then change them back when you are available. The third option would be to look at developing an application that would give you the functionality you require.
    Chris Clark - | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Thats what I was afraid of, I was hoping I could just add "public" to the blocked team access level, and they would just go straight to voicemail, while everyone on my contact list could still call me, but alas that didnt work.

I did see that OCS 2010 and Exchange 2010 with UM seem to have something that MAY help, apparently there are now "voice rules", similar to email rules where you can define actions based on caller.  I cant seem to find out if I can create a rule that says if caller is not on my contact list or GAL, go straight to voicemail or not though, anyone able to answer that one :)?

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Thats what I was afraid of, I was hoping I could just add "public" to the blocked team access level, and they would just go straight to voicemail, while everyone on my contact list could still call me, but alas that didnt work.

I did see that OCS 2010 and Exchange 2010 with UM seem to have something that MAY help, apparently there are now "voice rules", similar to email rules where you can define actions based on caller.  I cant seem to find out if I can create a rule that says if caller is not on my contact list or GAL, go straight to voicemail or not though, anyone able to answer that one :)?

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:47 PM
  • With Exchange you can filter with a Call Answering rule but my understanding is not everyone on the GAL. If for no reason other than performance you would not want someone to create a rule that had to check a 20k+ user GAL. So even if your GAL is small Microsoft has to consider the worst case scenario.

You can add contacts or individuals but not a bulk list. You also need to consider the fact that people in the GAL may be on mobiles or other numbers and you would be blocking them as well.

Chris Clark - | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:01 PM