none
Getting around %make%\%model% RRS feed

• Question

• I have some hardware like ASUS, etc. Apart from my DELL fleet which is quite easily managed in MDT, what do people do about non-enterprise hardware like ASUS, etc for driver injection.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:59 AM

All replies

• I run with selection profiles for this kind of stuff, and then create a driver injection of that selection profile based on WMI model query.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:19 PM
  • I use a model alias user exit script. For instance since some models we deploy are non-enterprise I use the alias script to lump those models together. Not too bad an option if you use make model variables and wanted to lump a few models together.

' Check by Make

Select Case sMake

Case "Dell Computer Corporation", "Dell Inc.", "Dell Computer Corp."

' Next line is optional use, modelalias with spaces removed
                ' SetModelAlias = Replace(sModel, " ", "")

Select Case sModel
    				Case "XPS L322X"
    					SetModelAlias = "XPS 13"
    				Case "XPS L321X"
    					SetModelAlias = "XPS 13"
    				Case "XPS 13 9333"
    					SetModelAlias = "XPS 13"
    				Case "XPS 13 9343"
    					SetModelAlias = "XPS 13"

In this example my out-of-box drivers would have a Dell\XPS 13 folder and I don't have to make any changes to my task sequence or create extra selection profiles. The exit script just aliases those models as an XPS 13.

You can get the script here https://anothermike2.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/modelalias-user-exit-for-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-20102012/ and modify it as needed.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:12 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JoeZeppy Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:22 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 5:11 PM
  • I run with selection profiles for this kind of stuff, and then create a driver injection of that selection profile based on WMI model query.

Yes that works with Enterprise hardware (Dell, etc) but not with ASUS.

C:\Windows\System32>wmic
    wmic:root\cli>cdproduct
    cdproduct - Alias not found.
    wmic:root\cli>csproduct
    Caption                  Description              IdentifyingNumber     Name                 SKUNumber  UUID                                  Vendor               Version
    Computer System Product  Computer System Product  System Serial Number  System Product Name             1F00C8C0-00C6-0D00-D810-F46D04045521  System manufacturer  System Version

Friday, May 1, 2015 12:51 AM
  • Select Case sModel Case "" SetModelAlias = "ASUS Something"

You could do something like Dan was talking about but something like above:

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 1, 2015 2:26 AM
  • Hi Dan, so could my structure look something like this?

Out-of-Box Drivers

->Win7x64

->Dell Inc.

-> Precision T5500

-> Precision T5600

-> Precision T5610

-> ASUS

-> Whitebox

Could you help me edit the ModelAliasExit.vbs entries ?

Friday, May 1, 2015 3:23 AM
  • From a command prompt, if you type in

wmic computersystem get manufacturer, model

what do you get in return?

If it returns ASUS something and a model name of some type, then you can use the model alias script but you will need to add your own changes for the "Make" in the function "SetMakeAlias". Such as

Select Case sMake

Case "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
                SetMakeAlias = "ASUS"

Then under the function "SetModelAlias" something like

Select Case sMake

Case "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."

Select Case sModel
    	Case "ROG G74SX"
    SetModelAlias = "G74SX"

This works very well in conjunction with drivergroup variables http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Friday, May 1, 2015 3:40 AM
  • From a command prompt, if you type in

wmic computersystem get manufacturer, model

Friday, May 1, 2015 5:07 AM
  • Longer version

Friday, May 1, 2015 5:50 AM
  • I don't see your picture for what you got when your typed in "wmic computersystem get manufacturer, model"

As for your folder structure (if you use the alias script) it would look like:

Notice that I have an "XPS 13" folder, it has drivers for several XPS 13 models but because I'm aliasing them all as XPS 13 those drivers just go into one folder.

Since you also deal with multiple manufacturers, your task sequence should have a Driver Group variable like this which includes Make and Model

It must be %MakeAlias% and %ModelAlias% if you're using the ModelAliasExit script. You can get a nice copy of the script if you download it from http://www.deploymentfundamentals.com/SampleFiles.aspx Get the one that's from Deployment Fundamentals - Volume 4 - Sample Files. In fact it would do you good to buy the book too. But anyway in that zip file the script is in the Production folder.

Friday, May 1, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Dan

Monday, May 4, 2015 12:14 AM
  • Dan, I already have a "DriverGroup001" task. That's how I apply drivers to my DELL machines.

Monday, May 4, 2015 12:17 AM

• It must be %MakeAlias% and %ModelAlias% if you're using the ModelAliasExit script. You can get a nice copy of the script if you download it from http://www.deploymentfundamentals.com/SampleFiles.aspx Get the one that's from Deployment Fundamentals - Volume 4 - Sample Files. In fact it would do you good to buy the book too. But anyway in that zip file the script is in the Production folder.

So I have change from %make%\%model% to %MakeAlias%\%ModelAlias% and include that script to successfully incorporate both Enterprise hardware (DELL, etc) and whiteboxes?
    Monday, May 4, 2015 12:20 AM
  • No you don't HAVE to change it to support whiteboxes, you have to change it to make use of the ModelAliasExit script. Using aliases can make driver management a little easier. Since your computer there isn't reporting a manufacturer or model name another alternative is using a SQL database. In "Computers" of the database you can use an asset tag (not likely you'll have one), UUID, Serial Number or MAC Address to identify the computer. You can then in the Details tab, specify the DriverGroup with the specific folder that contains the drivers for that system. Not very automated since you have to first figure out that information, but whiteboxes add that kind of complexity because there's no telling what groups of hardware have been cobbled together.

Monday, May 4, 2015 1:41 PM