Question about Outlook and OWA Address Books. RRS feed

• Question

• SBS 2008 Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2010 on client.

I have a client using Outlook on the local network. When at home they use OWA. Would they be seeing the same Address Book? If not is it possible to configure this?

-------------------------- Many thanks for your time.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:22 AM

Answers

• Not exactly.

The OWA clients will see the addresses as listed in the Global Address List (GAL) which resides on the mail server itself.

By default, the Outlook clients (2010 or other) will see the addresses as listed in the Offline Address Book (OAB) which is a copy of the GAL that is downloaded to the client machines (and updated on a regular basis as the GAL changes).

Sometimes the GAL and the OAB do not match, if the OAB has a problem updating or synching with the GAL "master copy".

But, if all works correctly, they would see the same addresses, with possibly some lag due to the fact it can take up to 24-48 hours for the copy of the OAB on the client machines to be updated after a change to the GAL.

You can take the OAB "out of the picture" (bypass it) by unchecking the option "Exchange cached mode" in the mailbox properties in Outlook.

That way, Outlook consults the mail server directly and does not refer to any cached copies of the mailbox (.OST file) or address book (OAB).

While you might attain slightly better consistency (especially if your address book is constantly changing), it's usually better to use Exchange cached mode to limit the workload on the mail server (which increases if clients are all accessing it directly).

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, November 26, 2012 3:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:25 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Depends.

OAB updates every 4:00AM and Outlook downloads OAB every 24 hours (running time but not the nature time). so, even if Outlook client updates OAB correctly, there might still be a delay comparing to GAL in OWA, you might not be able to see the new users/changes in OAB in Outlook when you can check it in GAL in OWA.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, November 26, 2012 3:41 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 3:41 AM

All replies

• Not exactly.

The OWA clients will see the addresses as listed in the Global Address List (GAL) which resides on the mail server itself.

By default, the Outlook clients (2010 or other) will see the addresses as listed in the Offline Address Book (OAB) which is a copy of the GAL that is downloaded to the client machines (and updated on a regular basis as the GAL changes).

Sometimes the GAL and the OAB do not match, if the OAB has a problem updating or synching with the GAL "master copy".

But, if all works correctly, they would see the same addresses, with possibly some lag due to the fact it can take up to 24-48 hours for the copy of the OAB on the client machines to be updated after a change to the GAL.

You can take the OAB "out of the picture" (bypass it) by unchecking the option "Exchange cached mode" in the mailbox properties in Outlook.

That way, Outlook consults the mail server directly and does not refer to any cached copies of the mailbox (.OST file) or address book (OAB).

While you might attain slightly better consistency (especially if your address book is constantly changing), it's usually better to use Exchange cached mode to limit the workload on the mail server (which increases if clients are all accessing it directly).

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, November 26, 2012 3:38 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Depends.

OAB updates every 4:00AM and Outlook downloads OAB every 24 hours (running time but not the nature time). so, even if Outlook client updates OAB correctly, there might still be a delay comparing to GAL in OWA, you might not be able to see the new users/changes in OAB in Outlook when you can check it in GAL in OWA.

Fiona Liao

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Monday, November 26, 2012 3:41 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Well, thanks for that explanation. The problem we have is the local copy in Outlook on the local client is corrupt (I think). It will not populate/send when filling in the email addresses from a group. When the staff is at home and uses OWA all is OK. How do I delete the local OAB to get it regenerated from the server?

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Just delete all local .oab files and then click Send/Receive downlist, select download address book to download the new oab files.

If the issue continues, please describe the issue in more detail symptoms so that we can better understand. Thanks.

Fiona Liao

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by barleytwist Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:17 AM
  • I don't find the .oab. All I can see in Outlook 2010 under account settings - address book are two MAPI files which do not allow deletion. Please advise.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:12 PM
  • You can find the .oab files here, in the Windows file system (not in Outlook properties - well, they might be indicated in there somewhere):

C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Offline Address Books\25f71aa3-9b76-4838-88dd-bde367cff387

They should be in the folder with the long GUID.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:11 PM