none
Windows member servers and workstations syncing their time with in-house 3rd party NTP host?

Question

• Hello all,

I am an IT administrator in a big enterprise environment.

Recently I have been assigned with a task to point all windows clients (Windows 7 and Windows 10) and Windows member servers (Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows 2012 R2) to a third party NTP server. We have clustered InfoBlox solution in-house which works as DHCP, DNS and NTP server. All the member servers/workstations in our domains are no longer going to sync the time with the Domain Controllers. The PDC itself is syncing with InfoBlox.

How do you find such an idea? Is it supported my Microsoft?

Thank you in advance.

BR,

Nikolay

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can configure PDC as time server or also configure it from a external NTP.The point is all other DC's,member servers,computers sync time config from PDC.

Also you should check these details articles for time server;

How the Windows Time Service Works

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773013%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nepapfe/2013/03/01/its-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, March 17, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Hi Burak,

Thank you for your reply.

However, I know that and our environment is configured exactly like on the links you provided.

What I face now:

- I am required to change the configuration of the Windows members servers and workstations to point to external NTP server. It is actually in-house NTP server called InfoBlox. They are not going to sync with the Domain Controllers anymore.

- The PDC is going to continue to sync to InfoBlox as it is now.

Have you faced such an implementation?

Thank you in advance.

BR,

Nikolay

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:26 AM
  • That's not recommended officially.All servers , computers,etc should be sync from PDC.So you can configure PDC to sync time from this "infoBlox" then configure "NTP" section to point PDC on DHCP scope's.(if you need to %100 make sure)..

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:38 AM
  • Thank you Burak,

Do you think I can find any Microsoft article that is saying that such configuration is not recommended and advisable?

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:49 AM
  • This is fully supported. You should however disable the Windows Time Service. Refer to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773013(v=ws.10).aspx

hth
    Marcin

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:53 AM
  • Hi Marcin,

Thank you for the reply.

I am going to use Windows Time Service to sync time from the appliance.

I am going to configure a GPO which is going to configure all windows machines I need.

GPO for edition and go to: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Windows Time Service\Time Providers then Configure Windows NTP Client + Enable Windows NTP Client

BR,

NIkolay

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please try to mark it as answer.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:07 PM