Dual boot XP + older Windows OS RRS feed

• Question

• According to the XP documentation I have, to dual boot a machine with XP and some older WIndows OS, I can set up a 'System' partition formatted with a file system readable by both XP and the older OS, and then 'Boot' partitions, one with the older OS and maybe FAT and a second Boot partition formatted with NTFS to hold the XP system files.

(The System partition will hold boot files & the boot partitions hold system files?)

However, when I experiment with an older WIndows OS eg Win 2000, there is no step in the installation process where I can choose to install boot files on one partition and system files on another. I think it's the same with XP.

So, how is one to acheive this?

Regards

Richard

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:16 PM

All replies

• I guess I never read the XP documentation because I never heard of what you site above.  However, I have setup computers to dual-boot or multi-boot.  All I ever did was partition the disk into the number of systems I want to install.  If you want to dual-boot Win 2000 & XP make two partitions.  Install the oldest system first, 2000 in this case, to the first partition.  When that is done boot with the XP install disc and install XP to the second partition.  When you're all done you will be with a menu during boo-up to select one of the systems.  You edit the boot.ini if yo9u want to change which is the default.

The reason you start with the oldest system is of the NTLDR.  Win 2000 NTLDR cannot recognize the XP system, but XP NTLDR can recognize the 2000 system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:13 PM