none
Can't install .net 4.6.2 on Windows 2012R2 with Exchange 2016 DAG CU4. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I can’t install .net 4.6.2 on a Windows 2012R2 that has Exchange 2016 CU4 (just updated from CU2) and .net 4.5.2.

Tried the offline installer and the webinstaller. Same effect. It completes the file security verification and it gets stuck at the installation progress for ever. Absolutely no progress on the bar.

I also tried this other method which I don’t know if its supported. Uncompressed the files to a folder and run setup.exe and got a message saying, “Blocking issues: you cannot use this setup program to install the .NET Framwork”.

Also tried starting the Windows Installer Service manually if it was stopped (read this somewhere).

Also used the .net setup verifier tool and said that 4.5.2 was OK

So I’m stuck and can’t continue to apply CU8 for Exchange 2016 because CU8 needs .net 4.6.2

Hope someone knows a solution and can help-

Thanks to everyone,

Ivan Mckenzie

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Ivan,

How and where do you perform .NET upgrade? As far as I know, you should perform .NET upgrade on the machine used to prepare schema and AD. To install it, you can simply download the file and run it.

Can you see any error message when installing .NET via installer? You can refer to the document for error message and its corresponding solutions. 

Troubleshoot blocked .NET Framework installations and uninstallations

Additionally, do you check the related error when install .NET 4.6.2? Please check Windows Logs in Event Viewer and post the logs here if any.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi Dawn, thanks for your input.

I don't agree with you on your first point. I prepare the schema from an AD from a active directory machine. Done it this way for years.

Then I have two servers in a DAG with exchange. It's these two Exchange machines on which I have to upgrade .net from 4.5.2 to 4.6.2, so I can install CU8.

I'm not getting any errors from the installer or on the event viewer.

The installer just does not progress.

Thanks ,

Ivan

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi Ivan,

Sorry for late reply.

What I mean in my first point is to install the .NET 4.6.2 in the machine that is used to prepare Active Directory. Of course you can use any member of AD domain to prepare AD. 

Be sure to allow time for the .NET optimization process to complete after .NET upgrade. The .NET upgrade requires a reboot, and after the OS has restarted Exchange setup cannot start until the .NET optimization process has completed.  This may take 30 minutes.

Here is a blog about upgrading to Exchange 2013 CU16 or Exchange 2016 CU5. For your reference:

Exchange 2013 CU16 and Exchange 2016 CU5 .NET Framework Requirement

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 28, 2019 9:48 AM
  • hey Ivan, did you tried to update directly to the 4.7.2 ?

As it's now supported to to update to 4.7.2 and directly update your exchange to CU 11 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi Dawn, I can't go to 4.7.2 yet. My exchange is CU4 and only supports 4.6.2. 

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2019 12:15 PM
  • you can deploy 4.7.2 if you update exchange asap after .net update.

When upgrading Exchange from an unsupported CU to the current CU and no intermediate CUs are available, you should upgrade to the latest version of .NET that's supported by Exchange first and then immediately upgrade to the current CU. This method doesn't replace the need to keep your Exchange servers up to date and on the latest, supported, CU.
    Microsoft makes no claim that an upgrade failure will not occur using this method, which may result in the need to contact Microsoft Support Services.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Monday, January 28, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Hi Proed, I am aware of this. But it would be the last resource I think, because of :

Microsoft makes no claim that an upgrade failure will not occur using this method, which may result in the need to contact Microsoft Support Services.

Thanks,

Ivan

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:56 PM
  • Hi everyone,

thanks for all your help, it finally worked using:

NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /q /norestart /log "C:\Temp\Install_log"

Thanks to Leon Laude: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/31eeceb4-f3f9-4ad1-8707-88d283639f64/cant-install-net-462-on-windows-2012r2-with-net-452?forum=winservergen

Regards,

Ivan

• Proposed as answer by Proed Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:55 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Hi Proed, I am aware of this. But it would be the last resource I think, because of :

Thanks,

Ivan

thats not as scary as it sounds. Thats really just the standard disclaimer that applies to any upgrade.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:11 PM