none
Users Logging on System Account RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I am have a group of user who log on to our SharePoint 2016 Portal as System Account, as a result these user cannot

start workflows. I know in some Blogs it is stated that when a user account shows up as a System Account it probably means that

user account was used when setting up SharePoint.However in my case i have a quite a number of users in this scenario and none of them where used in setting up SharePoint.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to resolve this.

Thank you.

Kassoka

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Silvestre, 

It is by designer that we cannot start workflow with system account. 

If the identity of the application pool is that of a particular administrator or if the administrator logs in as the farm account or the application pool account, then SharePoint will show that person as System Account. If none of these three is the case then SharePoint checks the web application's User Policies. The User Policies can specify certain access permissions for all content within web application and specifies whether users are shown as System Account.

Navigate CA->Application Management->Manage web applications->Select the web application that you would like to modify and click on the User Policy button->Click users, check whether you click "Account operates as System", when checked, will show the user as System Account. 

If you don't want to show the user as system account, uncheck "Account operates as System".

Reference:

http://dsen-25.blogspot.com/2012/04/sharepoint-2010-displays-system-account.html

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Nagendra Pal Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Silvestre Kassoka Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:59 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your input, However as i ave mentioned in my intial post this issue is happening to a number of users

and none of them are administrators.

The link and post above addresses an issue when administrator is being shown as System Account.

Thank you.

Kassoka

Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Hi Silvestre, 

Use "check permissions" to check permissions for the users and offer a screenshot about it. 

Besides, clear browser cache  and login in with the users, compare the results. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Hi Lisa

Sorry for my late reply,

Please below the print screen you requested.Sorry its in Portuguese but basically this user who is one of the users in this scenario has Contribute permissions.

Kassoka

4 hours 27 minutes ago