none
Projected % Complete RRS feed

• Question

• All, 

I'm trying to calculate what % Complete should based on the Status date. I'm calling it Projected % Complete. I tried ProjDateDiff([Status Date],[Finish]) in a duration field and it didn't work. 

I'm then going to compare it with the % Complete field to see if they are on target, ahead, or behind schedule.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Cole

• Edited by Cole - GWU Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:25 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Cole,

Just a though: the status (and corresponding status indicator) field will give the information wheither a task is on Schedule, late, completed, on time based on the Baseline and the status date.

Otherwise a formula like this one based on the Baseline could work (just replace the Baseline fields by the standard ones if you don't want to use the Baseline):

abs(ProjDateDiff([Status Date],[Baseline Start],[Project Calendar]))/[Baseline Duration]*100 & "%"
    That being said, you are typically asking for Earned Value indicators. You could of course use the kind of formula you are refering to, but have in mind that MS Project proposes by default a large number of EV fields, such as CPI, SPI and all variance fields. Although it requires a certain maturity in scheduling (cost, baselines, status date, tracking), it will provide you a large set of EV indicators out of the box.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:21 PM

All replies

• Here is one example: http://niksprojects.com/blog/?p=126

You could also use the EVM method, a little complicated. Take a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/79941

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:14 PM
  • Hi Cole,

Just a though: the status (and corresponding status indicator) field will give the information wheither a task is on Schedule, late, completed, on time based on the Baseline and the status date.

Otherwise a formula like this one based on the Baseline could work (just replace the Baseline fields by the standard ones if you don't want to use the Baseline):

abs(ProjDateDiff([Status Date],[Baseline Start],[Project Calendar]))/[Baseline Duration]*100 & "%"
    That being said, you are typically asking for Earned Value indicators. You could of course use the kind of formula you are refering to, but have in mind that MS Project proposes by default a large number of EV fields, such as CPI, SPI and all variance fields. Although it requires a certain maturity in scheduling (cost, baselines, status date, tracking), it will provide you a large set of EV indicators out of the box.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Finally, I found this blog which seems to propose a formula for the planned % complete.

http://niksprojects.com/blog/?p=126

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:27 PM
  • Thanks!
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:30 PM