none
SteadyState Error Message After Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed SteadyState 2.5 on 6 laptops. After the installation process has completed and the user logs on under the domain a error message is received. "Unexpected Error Code 0x8004100a".

The user is then prompted to click OK and then continue to use the system as normal. I have noticed on occasion, the restriction policy is changed to 'Retain Settings" when " Remove changes on Restart" was selected on the first instance. Should i be courteous of this error message before rolling the installation on 200 laptops?

I installed the software on Hp Compaq 610 Intel laptops with 2GB ram with Windows XP Professional OS with service pack 3.

I would be grateful for any response.

Kind Regards
    Anoop

Friday, February 26, 2010 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Anoop, I'd like to confirm if this error occur on one of the laptops or all of them and does the error message indicate if this is related to/caused by Windows SteadyState. The error code 0x8004100A is related to WMI with the meaning of "WBEM_E_critical_error". Since Windows SteadyState may utilize WMI in the system, if it is not working properly in Windows system, we will receive the error. I suggest you check the solutions in the following KB article first:

Error message when you try to install updates in Windows Vista, and the installation may fail: "WBEM_E_CRITICAL_ERROR (0x8004100A)"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577

If this is caused by corrupted WMI components in Windows Vista, we can also post the issue to Windows XP forum.

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, March 1, 2010 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Anoop, I'd like to confirm if this error occur on one of the laptops or all of them and does the error message indicate if this is related to/caused by Windows SteadyState. The error code 0x8004100A is related to WMI with the meaning of "WBEM_E_critical_error". Since Windows SteadyState may utilize WMI in the system, if it is not working properly in Windows system, we will receive the error. I suggest you check the solutions in the following KB article first:

Error message when you try to install updates in Windows Vista, and the installation may fail: "WBEM_E_CRITICAL_ERROR (0x8004100A)"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577

If this is caused by corrupted WMI components in Windows Vista, we can also post the issue to Windows XP forum.

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, March 1, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hi Sean

Thank you for your email.
    The problem occurs on Windows Xp PRo with SP3 and the error message is realted to steadystate.
    Any solutions i can try on the operating system?
    regards
    Anoop
    Regards Anoop Vadher
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hi Anoop, thanks for the update. As I have posted above, this issue can be related to WMI components in the system. I suggest you try the solution in the KB article and see the result.

Note: though it is for Windows Vista, we can also try it under Windows XP.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:19 AM