My C is filling up for no reason after creating a new PC user. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys, so I've got a little problem about my C drive.

THe problem occoured on my brother's Laptop. He made me a new user, (I had another user too, we deleted it. That user didn't have any problems with C) after that we deleted my old one. After deleting the user I had about 19 GB free space on C. I was playing on the laptop for 1-2 hour(s), and I checked the drive status. There was just 16 gigs free. Now, it's filling up itself slower like that. It fills about 200-300mb/hour. Maybe we didn't set up something correctly, but I think the problem is something else. I also checked the status of the C using the program Treesize. It looked like this:

Windows - 20GB

Program Files(x86) - 5 GB

Program Files - 3 GB

AppData - 1GB

And some folders around 500MB..

I did everything I had to. I changed the download folder, I cleared the temp folders. 

So I'm in a big problem now, thank you for helping me. By the way, the standard disk cleanup cleaned just 15-20 mb of the files.

• Edited by GerexD Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:47 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank for you feedback. However, it seems you haven’t operate the other suggestions which I offered, such as System Restore, “Chkdisk” command and using the “Disk Usage” to list the size which the folders occupied.

Please check my other suggestions in my last post, please post back if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Simon

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:12 AM

All replies

• Were you able to determine which folder was the one growing in size? If I were to guess it would be the appdata folder, particularly the local subfolder.

• Edited by Acreed02 Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:53 PM clarity
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:30 PM
  • The Local subfolder doesn't have any problems.
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 3:57 PM
  • There is a good 3rd party free app called Treesize (by Jam software) that will tell you what is using the space.  There are many reasons why things that may be using space like restore points, page file, hibernation file TEMP game files.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:08 PM
  • "I also checked the status of the C using the program Treesize. It looked like this:

Windows - 20GB

Program Files(x86) - 5 GB

Program Files - 3 GB

AppData - 1GB

And some folders around 500MB."

Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:35 PM
  • That is a normal size.  What is the exact problem?

Thursday, August 27, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, we suggest you perform System Restore to make your PC back to the point which use normally because the issue occurred once you changed the settings.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/restore-system-files-and-settings

From your issue, I infer the most possible reason for this issue is that System Restore is always turned on. System Restore uses a portion of the hard disk to store "restore points," so the hard disk size will decrease automatically when it store your points. I suggest you can set a maximum number for limit it. Just open “Control Panel” > “System” > “System Properties” > “Performance” tab > “File System”. On “Hard disk” tab, drag the System Restore disk space use slider to the amount that you want, then click “Apply” < “Ok” and restart your computer. You can learn more information about this issue for System Restore in the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299266

If the steps for System Restore don’t work for the issue, please consider the reason for the issue is virus or malware. Before you scan the virus, you can open resource monitor to find the process and the 3<sup>rd</sup> party software with problem or directly start the windows in clean boot mode to check the software. If it doesn’t work in clean boot mode, scan the virus in safe mode because the virus may block the module of anti-virus software.

In addition to that, the disk problem may also cause the issue. Just open “Command Prompt” and run the command chkdsk [drive:] /f”, you can learn more information about the command “chkdsk” in the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb491051.aspx

In addition to the steps above, we can use Disk Usage to determine which file occupied much space. Please download it in the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896651

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon

Friday, August 28, 2015 8:52 AM
  • So, I've disabled System Restore, it didn't do anything at all. I did a virus scan on C drive, and there was a suspicious file. I deleted it, it helped nothing. Any other advices?

When I start the PC, there is always 200mb less memory on C.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 12:49 PM
  • You never told us what the EXACT problem is.  What you are describing LOOKS perfectly normal

Sunday, August 30, 2015 12:53 PM
  • When I start my PC up, I have always 200-300mb less on my C drive.. I don't know what is filling up the hard. Treesize gave me the same results when I had 13GB left on my C. Now I have 10GB.

Is that a normal thing that my C drive is filling up for no reason? I don't think so.

This PC is been used for 3 years, and we never had a problem like this before.

• Edited by GerexD Sunday, August 30, 2015 1:03 PM
    Sunday, August 30, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thank for you feedback. However, it seems you haven’t operate the other suggestions which I offered, such as System Restore, “Chkdisk” command and using the “Disk Usage” to list the size which the folders occupied.

Please check my other suggestions in my last post, please post back if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Simon

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:12 AM