EULA display as RunOnce (Without user OOBE) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I encounter a situation where I am not using Sysprep /OOBE (no unattend setup at all).

But I still need to display the EULA when machine starts first time (like runone or similar), is it possible to achieve this?

N.A.Malik

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:40 AM

Answers

• Well then there is just two options, either completely reinstall your system or run sysprep. Not much else you can do. There no built-in command you can use to display the actual EULA with an accept and decline button.

You could fake it by have a script or tool emulate what the screen looks like, but it would not hold any legal value as the OS was already in use before the EULA was accepted.

Can you explain why you want to try to do this?

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Monday, March 19, 2012 8:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:41 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:05 PM

All replies

• You could download the actually EULA from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

And then display it using the runonce method. You could also look for license.rtf on the local client and display that or the EULA that is included on the Windows 7 DVD. Either options will allow you to disable the EULA.

Any reason in particular you are not able to use sysprep? 

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by N A Malik Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Well, running the EULA in runonce will run as document not with the Windows control.
    I dont want to display a documnet, rather the EULA as if this appears during OOBE.

I can easily get the .rtf file from /OOBE folder. But this is nothing that I am looking for.

N.A.Malik

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Well then there is just two options, either completely reinstall your system or run sysprep. Not much else you can do. There no built-in command you can use to display the actual EULA with an accept and decline button.

You could fake it by have a script or tool emulate what the screen looks like, but it would not hold any legal value as the OS was already in use before the EULA was accepted.

Can you explain why you want to try to do this?

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Monday, March 19, 2012 8:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:41 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:05 PM
  • My customer wants machine Ready to USE, no OOBE is required.
    Thats make my life difficult.

N.A.Malik

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

I your customer wants a real (legally valid) EULA, then you need to use the OOBE. You can automate everything else, and just leave the EULA portion enable, so the user will only get prompted to acept the EULA and then continue with the rest of the installation; with an unatended.xml file and some good scripting you can have your system 100% productive less than 10 minutes after acepting the EULA.

On the other hand, if your customer wants a fully operational box, you might need to skip the "real EULA" (by enabling acepteula paramenter in unatend.xml) and just display the EULA text. But, as Jaap mentioned before, this will not have the legal commitment of the REAL EULA (by this time you have already acepted the terms).

Best Regards / Saludos, Marianok

Disclaimer: This post, and all included code and information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Try it at your own risk, I take no responsibilities.

Aclaración: Esta publicación, y todo en código e información en la misma, es provista "AS IS" / "Como Está" sin garantía alguna y no le confiere ningún derecho. Pruebelo su propio riesgo. No asumo responsabilidad alguna.

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:34 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 11:31 AM