none
MIM CM Rest API missing methods, wrong documentation, bugs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been struggling with introducing the MIM-Rest-API.

When one does the most basic stuff, like - do what is decribed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/reference/sample-enrollment-walkthrough

It does indeed work as advertised on the MSDN-Developer Reference.

However - once you try to do other operations, you *often* find yourself in a situation, where obviously the documentation is either flawed or even outright wrong.

One (of the many) examples - this page describes the "Set Status" endpoint:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/reference/cancel-abandon-complete-request

According to the documentation you can finish, cancel or abandon the request - however - in reality you can only "finish" the request.

When you try to cancel or abandon neither will work, and you will get a 500 server error....maybe even with message "NotImplemented" (take this "NotImplemented" one with a grain of salt, it might have been another method which had that in the message - like I said earlier, there are *many* examples where the documentation is wrong)

Some detailed information on my installation:

First tests were done in MIM 2016 SP1 (4.4.1302.0).

After I found out about the many problems I tried updating MIM to 4.5.286.0 (which should be the currently newest version) - it did not help in the least...

So - what's the deal with that?

Am I too stupid?

Is MSDN-API-Reference "false Advertisment"? (which would be really bad from a customers perspective....pre-alpha for years, advertised as "finished"....lots of wasted time for the customers...like me...)

Kind Regards

Johannes Colmsee

Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:07 PM

All replies

• To answer parts of my own question - yes, some Methods are indeed not implemented as of v4.5.286.0

One example - the aforementioned "SetStatus" - decompiled Code - as you can see any Status other than "Completed" will result in "501 - NotImplemented":

internal static Request UpdateStatus(Guid requestId, string status)
        {
          Request requestFromUuid = RequestsHelper.GetRequestFromUuid(requestId);
          try
          {
            if (!string.Equals(RequestStateProperty.Completed, status, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase))
              throw new ClmHttpResponseException(HttpStatusCode.NotImplemented);

So - my followup Question - do I Need to update to a new version? or is the documentation on MSDN really *wrong*?

Kind Regards

Johannes Colmsee

Friday, February 1, 2019 9:44 AM