none
DPM in VM; want to protect VM as well? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed DPM in a Hyper-V VM on Windows Server 2008 R2.  I now want to protect other Hper-V VM servers (also Windows Server 2008 R2). 

I now realize now that I cannot use the Child Partition Snapshot, as the Hyper-V role is required on the DPM server and I cannot add it to a VM.

Would I be "better off" moving my DPM server to the host itself (Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter) or backing up the other VM servers as though they were stand alone servers.

I see benefit both ways, currently the host is just a host and would be easy to replace, and replacing the VM would be fairly simple too; although if I were to install the DPM on the host I would have to replace only one machine in times of disaster.

I am looking for "best practice suggestions!"

Thank you,

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:48 PM

Answers

• With your DPM server running as a virtual machine you can protect VM's running on hosts other than the one which DPM is a guest of just fine. The Hyper-V role is only required to be installed on the DPM server if you need to perform item-level recovery of a protected HyperV guest. In the long-run you'd be better off using a physical machine for your DPM server but I'd recommend against using your Hyper-V host as such as DPM is meant to be a single-purpose server.

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:49 PM