none
Same Query Web.Page(Web.Contents(...)) Working on 1 PC but not on 2nd PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

one file, two PCs sitting next to each other. The same query works on 1 PC but does on the 2nd PC.

Working PC: 2.24.4065.11301

Not working PC:  2.30.4246.1721 64-bit

We can see, that on the working PC, there are 2 rows being pulled while on the not working PC, there is just 1 row. The missing row causes the entire query to fail on the second PC... 

Any idea why one PC would read correctly and the second would not?

We can see that the first PC is completely skipping the "Table" row which actually holds the content I need.

Update:

I know what is causing this but dont know how to fix.

So one PC needs to login to the webpage before the table can be downloaded. The other PC does not haveto login. I don't know why. The source is pretty standard webpage, nothing complicated, no corporate logins needed. I have tried all the meaningful authentication options in "Data Source Settings" but my PC just cannot pass the login screen. I wonder how come the other PC can directly go to the URL. It is probably not an PowerQuery issue, it must be something with my browser...?

DZ

Monday, July 25, 2016 4:09 PM

Answers

• I suspect that clearing all cookies from inside IE on both machines would cause them to display identical behavior. This is a pretty heavy hammer to use (depending, of course, on whether or not you actually use IE for anything else). We use an instance of IE to get the DOM from the URL, and there's apparently no way for us to tell IE "don't send any cookies for this site". So the two instances probably differ in the cookies that they're sending.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel. Is the working machine on the same network as the webpage? Is a user already logged in to the website on that machine?

Ehren

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:15 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren,

yes, same network. Yes, the user is logged in - I am judging by that IE does not require the user to log in.

The thing is that I am also logged in IE (sign in page no longer appearing) but PowerQuery is still loading only one row. 

DZ

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:44 AM
  • It sounds like there's something different about the two machines that is causing IE (which is what PQ uses to get the web content) to return different results. Not sure there's anything we can do about this on the PQ side...

Ehren

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:49 PM
    Owner
  • Hmmm... Can I do something like full IE wipe?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:04 PM
  • I suspect that clearing all cookies from inside IE on both machines would cause them to display identical behavior. This is a pretty heavy hammer to use (depending, of course, on whether or not you actually use IE for anything else). We use an instance of IE to get the DOM from the URL, and there's apparently no way for us to tell IE "don't send any cookies for this site". So the two instances probably differ in the cookies that they're sending.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 8:38 PM
  • I did clear my cookies but the issue still persists. I give up now.

Maybe, if someone from MSFT team is interested, we can do remote desktop via Skype for Business.

DZ

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

I'm happy to look into this with you but it seems you are accessing a proprietary web site, true?  If not, kindly share the url and credentials.  This nuanced behaviour is so dangerous and with lack of standard (PQ) debugging tools a frustrating heartache I'm sure.  For starters, consider the following:

1. Standardize your versions

2. Swap the network connections and try again.

3. Find an answer from IT administrator why user NEEDS to login to one pc and not the other.  Ask them to set up a new "test" account to try.  Be sure that the pc not requiring login is simply because the user is ALREADY logged in to the other machine (or somewhere else)

4. Try a third pc

5. Try both pcs utilizing PBID (state version, please). Also, state the version of Excel/PQ

:)

Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:43 PM