none
New print driver impacted existing printers - why?

Question

• Hi friends,

Today I added a new driver to our print server which I have done many times before, only this time in adding the new driver, all other printers of the same manufacturer (Canon) stopped working, with the device on everyone's computer showing "Driver update needed".

The new driver was for an iDV-ADV C5250. The printers which stopped working are all C5051's. The driver was added but at this point, no other action was taken, the driver was not used for a printer (hardware hasn't arrived yet) so the very simple step of adding a new driver in preparation for a new printer causes a major issue.

To resolve it on the Windows Server 2008 R2 print server, I selected any one of the existing Canon printers and set the driver to the new driver I added. Of course this did NOT work however then setting the driver back to what it was originally did resolve the issue... kind of. ALL users were then required to delete and re-add the printer(s) on their computers. You can see this was not a popular fault.

Although I resolved it, I really want to understand why this occurred. Can anyone help? I really need to make sure this doesn't happen again. I thought maybe printer isolation might help but you can't set a driver to isolated until after it's added can you?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Norton_San,

Based on your description, I understand that you add a new driver for iDV-ADV C5250 in printer server. However, this operation affected all other C5051 printers (stop working). If anything I misunderstand, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

When an administrator updates a printer driver on a shared print server, the Point and Print feature automatically updates printer drivers from the print server to a client computer. Some printers may share driver files across several printer models or across a family of printers. An update to one of these shared driver files will cause client computers to update the drivers for any device that depends on the updated files.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:37 AM
  • Hi Norton,

You will need to configure the Computer Point and Print Restrictions policy so the user does not have to provide a response whether the print driver source is trusted.  This information is here.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2307161

You can also ask Canon to provided a package aware print driver for the device. If Canon already has a package aware driver you can determine if it's capabilities meet your needs and as Justin points out Test, test, test.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:10 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Norton_San,

Based on your description, I understand that you add a new driver for iDV-ADV C5250 in printer server. However, this operation affected all other C5051 printers (stop working). If anything I misunderstand, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

When an administrator updates a printer driver on a shared print server, the Point and Print feature automatically updates printer drivers from the print server to a client computer. Some printers may share driver files across several printer models or across a family of printers. An update to one of these shared driver files will cause client computers to update the drivers for any device that depends on the updated files.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:37 AM
  • Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply. You understood the scenario perfectly and your explanation is great.

My next question, however, is can this be avoided? I had to add these new printer drivers so how would a person know if this issue was going to occur and if it looks likely, how can it be avoided?

I guess the other question is, can it be fixed on client computers, if it does occur, without the users deleting and re-adding the printers? The issue would have far less of an impact if I could resolve it without so much input from the end user.

Thanks.

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:45 AM
  • Unfortunately this is the nature of managing a typical Windows print server.  Test, test and test are the best thing you can do.  Fortunately Microsoft has taken steps to mitigate this issue with server 2012 and Windows 8.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134171.aspx

"The print server is no longer a software distribution mechanism. Previous versions of Windows provided a mechanism by which print clients could obtain a driver from the print server.  For reasons of security, compatibility, serviceability, and reliability, this functionality has been removed from the v4 driver model and enhanced Point and Print."

Friday, October 3, 2014 10:41 PM
  • Hi Norton,

You will need to configure the Computer Point and Print Restrictions policy so the user does not have to provide a response whether the print driver source is trusted.  This information is here.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2307161

You can also ask Canon to provided a package aware print driver for the device. If Canon already has a package aware driver you can determine if it's capabilities meet your needs and as Justin points out Test, test, test.

Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

How do we know which other printers will be affected? Is there any way of working out whether when a new print driver is installed, which other printers will be affected (in some sort of dependencies)

As in my situation, I have installed a new driver for a HP OfficeJet 8610 and the driver installed onto the print server successfully, then soon after, all HP OfficeJet 8100's stopped working and were prompting for the client machines to update the driver? And other models were affected to?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Most likely there is a common file but is could just be an updated ChangeID value for the printer.

The only way to know for sure is to have a test and a production environment.

You would need to monitor a couple registry keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTERNAME\ChangeID

If this value ever changes, this setting will force a driver refresh in the client. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\DRIVERNAME\Dependent Files

If these files get updated \ChangeID will be updated but you can use the values in this setting to understand the files that some driver have in common with others.

Monday, May 14, 2018 12:41 AM
    Answerer