none
UNC Path is not valid or does not have write permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just downloaded the MVMC 3.0 SA as well as the admin guide. My environment is the following setup:

- Windows Server 2012 R2 as Hyper-V (SRV-1-011-HypV1, not domainjoined!)
    - Windows Server 2012 R2 as VM SRV-1-011-HypV1 (SRV-1-030-DC01, Domaincontroller)
    - Windows Server 2012 R2 as VM for Conversion with MVMC 3.0 hosted on SRV-1-011-HypV1 (SRV-1-032-File1, not domainjoined!)
    - VMWare ESXi 4.1, where the source VM resides (stone001)

I've completed the wizard for converting a VM to Hyper-V and I'm Stuck at the Summary Check:

"Blocking Issue(s):
     1: UNC Path '\\srv-1-011-hypv1\Converted' is not valid or does not have write permissions."

From the admin guide this is described as Issue number 2:

The machine, on which you   are running the conversion, and the destination Hyper-V host are not members   of the same Active Directory domain.

Ensure that the machine on   which you are running the conversion and the destination Hyper-V host are   members of the same Active Directory domain.

SRV-1-011-HypV1 and SRV-1-032-File1 are both Member of the "Workgroup" and are not domain joined. Right now, it is impossible to join the Hyper-V host to its VM-hosted Domain due to the required system restart at the domain join, while domain is going to be shut down. How can this issue be resolved?

Further: Is there any conflict known operating MVMC from the destination Hyper-V host itself? Will the issue occur in this scenario too, as long as the hyper-V has not joined the domain?

Kind regards

S.Kuemmel

Friday, October 24, 2014 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in my case it worked when the Server(-VM) on which we installed the MVMC AND the target-file server were joined to the domain.

We also created a domain account, which has write-permissions to the target fileshare. We used this domain account for logon on the MVMC-machine and for running the MVMC Wizard.

Hope that helps

Regards

Robert

• Proposed as answer by Seth Bidne Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:31 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:50 AM
  • I had this issue, Our Hyper-v server is not domain joined.

So just typing the unc into the text input eg. \\hypervserver\folder would come back with the permission denied error. Pressing the browse button and then browsing to the server caused windows to prompt for credentials and then after this it worked for me.

Friday, February 24, 2017 12:50 PM