none
MDT 2012 Update 1 - Attempting to capture Windows Thin PC but it keeps looping after reboot. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to capture a master image of Windows Thin PC we have prepared using MDT 2012 Update 1 but to no avail. When attempting the capture process using LiteTouch.vbs it syspreps and then reboots as it normally would and then it simply keeps rebooting over and over in a loop.

I am unsure of how to bypass this and correctly capture Windows Thin PC using MDT 2012 Update 1. If anyone has any advice or feedback they can offer I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:51 PM

Answers

• I'm not quite sure what you mean by: "it simply keeps rebooting over and over in a loop." 

What, specifically do you mean by "it"? WHat OS is it booting into? is it booting into WinPE?

If it is booting into WinPE, can you break into the cmd.exe window (F8) and check the bdd.log file?

Is the litetouch.wsf script initiating a reboot, or is the script crashing?

If you need help can you copy the bdd.log file to a public site like SkyDrive, and copy the link here?

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, March 24, 2014 4:55 PM

All replies

• I have my reference Windows Thin PC, capture and sysprep task sequence prepared and basically using the same process as I did when I was capturing Windows 7 in the past. The MDT server is x86 based in this case as the OS I am capturing is x86. I also have the OS source files imported to MDT as well.

The only thing I can imagine that may be causing this is possibly the EWF of Windows Thin PC or perhaps something else to do with the Win PE environment when it reboots after running sysprep.

I am rather desperate to complete this so if anyone has any clue about this please let me know. Thank you very much.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:15 PM
  • I'm not quite sure what you mean by: "it simply keeps rebooting over and over in a loop." 

What, specifically do you mean by "it"? WHat OS is it booting into? is it booting into WinPE?

If it is booting into WinPE, can you break into the cmd.exe window (F8) and check the bdd.log file?

Is the litetouch.wsf script initiating a reboot, or is the script crashing?

If you need help can you copy the bdd.log file to a public site like SkyDrive, and copy the link here?

Monday, March 24, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your reply. To be more specific, when running the "LiteTouch.vbs" (have not used LiteTouch.wsf) script from the MDT deployment directory the sysprep process and subsequent system reboot appear to complete as it would for any Windows 7 or other system I have done in the past but when it comes up to the Win PE environment where the capture process would start it simply reboots and repeats continuously.

Here arethe BDD.log and smsts.log:

http://pastebin.com/g45zDVXe

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:37 AM
  • Logs suggest that the script is most likely crashing early on.

I suspect that the reason for this is that the deployment share was *updated* from a previous version of MDT, and some files are out of date.

Can you update the share (full update, regenerate from scratch?)

Otherwise we may need to run Litetouch.wsf manually from within WinPE:

When WinPE Boots and you have a mouse, press F8.
    Run TaskMgr.exe and verify that wscript.exe is no longer running (wait 2 minutes).
    Then run the following command:
    "cscript.exe x:\deploy\scripts\litetouch.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture"
    That should run the litetouch.wsf script and it should display any errors if found.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:59 PM
  • I had previously (several times in fact) updated and regenerated the deployment share but to no avail.

Does it make any difference that I am running litetouch.vbs rather than litetouch.wsf?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:29 PM
  • I think you misunderstand me when I asked about litetouch.wsf. Litetouch.wsf is run *everywhere*. And although you start it by calling litetouch.vbs, what I am really interested in is what happens when litetouch.wsf executes within WinPE.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Hello I have the same problem, restart loop, I would like you to help me when I get "solution acelerators" my virtual machine restarts and can not do anything that you find solution to this? I hope help me'm frustrated
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:24 PM
  • I have provided several debugging steps above in the post, please try these debugging steps, and share any bdd.log files on a public site like OneDrive.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:03 PM
  • if you, well I leave the link to see the problems that I have, actually I'm frustrated can not find the solution https://www.dropbox.com/sh/msmd0cljg97t96v/AAA-lEOToqwlDxSz1mZ6BQ5xa?dl=0
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Yup, that's a crash in the LItetouch.wsf.

I see that you are not running an older version of MDT, that means I can't tell what is there at line 2971 of ZTIUtility.vbs.

Either upgrade to MDT 2013, or you will need to debug the script yourself.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:29 PM
  • thanks for the help with MDT 2013 and captured the image but I have an error is as follows

Disk (1) was not found.Unable to continue
    Possible Cause: Missing storage driver

I'm using a laboratory with VMWARE WORKSTATION, that truth brings many complications I see, tell me in a real production environment is the same?
    Friday, February 27, 2015 4:47 PM