Msmpeng high physical memory 98%, 2.9G RAM without anything visibly running RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

i know there are threads about msmpeng but they don't seem to have the same symptoms as my laptop so looking for some help please?

i have a sony vaio 4g ram, windows 7 32bit running intel core 2 duo T6500.

in the last month it has started to struggle to open up programmes, running slowly, rebooting slowly, crashing. when i check task manager the ram usage is 2.5-2.9 without anything open (maybe 1 or 2 tabs on chrome and couple of word files). when i look at resources manager it shows 98% used physical memory with MsMpEng.exe using 157'928 kb (commit). this doesn't really change, is always at the top of the list.

i am running MSE and used to have spybot search and destroy but removed that, now trying malwarebyte's. in the past used live one care and have tried using the removal tool for that

i have read that MsMpEng is running because there is some sort of conflict in the back ground? that i should go in through msconfig and disable everything and switch bits on one at a time a see if i can figure out what the problems is but i thinks this is a bit beyond my IT skills.

Any suggestions???

this is killing the laptop which has worked really well up until now.

would going to a previous restore point help? would i lose my work files if i do this?

thanks for the advice.

Craig 

Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The Msmpeng.ese may consume the CPU and memory when a scan is running.

Meantime, this issue may also occur when there is a conflict with the other processes or services.

To narrow down the issue, please try the Clean Boot to determine whether the 3rd party application cause this issue.

Please follow the article in the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

In addition, I would to know whether the issue always happen.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The Msmpeng.ese may consume the CPU and memory when a scan is running.

Meantime, this issue may also occur when there is a conflict with the other processes or services.

To narrow down the issue, please try the Clean Boot to determine whether the 3rd party application cause this issue.

Please follow the article in the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

In addition, I would to know whether the issue always happen.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Hi Juke,

We have recently moved to the enterprise version of forefront endpoint protection and are seeing this behavior on all our servers, CPU usage at 0 or normal but memory usage 98% and causing the server to be non-responsive.

once restarted the memory usage is back to normal but you can watch it escalate over the next few days.  The process msmpeng.exe is what is increasing in memory usage.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:01 PM