File sharing on fresh install of xp x64 does not work..... RRS feed

• Question

• I recently re-installed a fresh copy of Windows XP x64 on my base machine and ran all windows updates, etc.

Everything is fine, but file sharing does not work (even Printer sharing works fine).

I have turned off simple file sharing and tried several other things from 2 days of searching, but with no luck.The shared folders are seen by other machines (xp, win7, linux) fine (e.g. \\machine-name\folder-name), but always receive a "Access is denied" message. I have set permissions for "everyone" to have full control.

At this point I am completely stuck, file sharing worked fine before, so I think it is related to the fresh install with full windows updates.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hello

Have you got a third-party firewall or smart-antivirus installed? They could be blocking remote access to your computer in order to protect you.

Try disabling: 1) the Windows firewall, 2) your custom firewall/antivirus, and then try again

If the problem persists, try to create additional user accounts on your machine, using the credentials of the remote users trying to connect. This way, the two accounts (remote and local) will match, allowing access.

As a final step, you may also want to experiment with your domain/workgroup settings and make sure that the IP/subnet have been setup correctly.

Good luck.

Konstantinos

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:09 PM