Rendering Fonts in Word RRS feed

• Question

• Problem 1:  Palatino Linotype superscript and subscript in Word

For about ten years I have not been able to get correct rendering of subscripts and superscripts using the Palatino Linotype font. 

Try rendering this text in Excel in any font at all, or in Word in (readable) font other than Palatino:

<sub>X</sub>X<sup>X</sup>

You should see that the subscript X goes below the baseline, and the superscript X rises above the top of capital X.  (Doesn't have to be X, just easier to illustrate because it is a full-height character.)

But in Word with Palatino Linotype font formatting, the subscript sits on the baseline (so it just looks like a smaller font _size_), and the superscript isn't high enough, so it looks wrong. 

Most of all, it's inconsistent with practically any other font. 

This was an issue with MS Word 98 and 2000 (from memory), and in communication with an MS staffer it was acknowledged to be a long-term fix, probably only when a then-"new" OS would be released (XP?), when OpenType features would be fully supported, like choosing swooshes on "Q". 

Still waiting:  same problem in MS Word 2003 and MS Word 2007, and up to Windows 7 OS.  I haven't tried Word 2010, but suspect it'll be the same. 

Problem 2:  STIX fonts

STIX fonts (v1.1.0) are not compatible.  I'm no expert, but I got the impression the issue is incomplete support by Microsoft.  Possibly a broader Windows OS problem.

See

http://stixfonts.org/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stixfonts/

—DIV

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tried in Word 2010, and the result is the same as you described in the case. And I doubt that this result is by design. And superscript and subscript looks different with each other.

As the second issue, I cannot understand that “STIX fonts (v1.1.0) are not compatible” means. But based on my research, the STIX Fonts have been designed to work with all web browsers, word processors, and other scholarly communications software, as well as all general purpose software.

The Fonts are based on the Unicode™ standard for character representation. By expressing all characters with their Unicode value, programs that we use will select the correct glyph for representation.

A character is a unique letter or symbol that is defined by its Unicode value.

Most of the glyphs in the STIX Fonts have been designed in Times-compatible style.

In addition to Times-compatible glyphs, some portions of the STIX Fonts include other design styles such as sans serif, monospace, Fraktur, Script, and calligraphic.

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi, Jaynet,

thanks for your input. 

Problem 1:  Palatino Linotype superscript and subscript in Word

It's interesting to know that Word 2010 shows the same effect — but not so surprising to me anymore.

Problem 2:  STIX fonts

Okay, I accept I didn't provide a lot of information above. 

Here is the detailed feedback I submitted to the STIX font managers:

<small>Below is the result of your feedback form  It was submitted by (DIV) on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 04:45:12</small>

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, 64 bit, and have Office 2007 installed.

In PowerPoint (12.0.6654.5000 SP2 MSO 12.0.6562.5003) the font seems to work okay.

In Word (12.0.6661.5000 SP2 MSO 12.0.6562.5003) I see nothing but blank space.

In Character Map (5.2.3668.0) Windows tool I see nothing but blank space.

In fontview.exe (6.1.7600.16385) Windows system tool the font displays correctly.

Here is the response:

Hi - thanks for the feedback on the STIX fonts. We are aware of the issues with STIX in a Microsoft environment. The behavior you describe is consistent with other reports we've received. We are looking into the underlying cause but have yet to uncover it. As soon as we have a fix it will be posted to the sourceforge site.

Regards.

Manager, Application Development

American Institute of Physics

—DIV

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Meta-post:

hmm... I tried formatting the above post, but it doesn't seem to be displayed, although it seems fine in editing mode, and is still present in the HTML source code....

—DIV

Friday, August 31, 2012 10:02 AM
  • check this link this may help you out

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/forum/discussion/199/font-rendering-smoothing-in-different-browser/p1

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:59 AM
  • Hi, alpesh.wing. 

The link you have provided is about the "smoothness" of the rendering.  For example, are pixelation effects due to the discrete resolution of a computer screen evident. 

The issue I described above in "Problem 1" is related to _placement_ of the glyphs relative to the baseline.

More information is available here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscript_and_superscript

For most fonts Word displays the following:

* Subscripts that are dropped below the baseline

* Superscripts that (typically) extend above the ascender line

And the above is seen for all fonts in Excel. 

Only for Palatino Linotype MS Word displays instead:

* Subscripts that are aligned with the baseline

* Superscripts that (typically) do not extend above the ascender line

—DIV

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Tech-heads might also refer to Example 2 at

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OTSPEC/GPOS.htm

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:52 AM