locked
WSS 3.0 Unable to "Edit In Datasheet" on a single list (not all lists) RRS feed

  • Question

  • On a Windows 2003R2/sp2 server running WSS3.0 SP2, I am having trouble with a specific list.  On this specific list, when I click Actions/Edit in Datasheet I get the following:  

    Initial error:
    The datasheet view is attempting to retrieve data from a different domain.  You will be redirected to an error page.  Contact your system administrator to resolve this error.

    Secondary error:
    The list cannot be displayed in Datasheet view for one or more of the following reasons: A datasheet component compatible with Windows SharePoint Services is not installed, your browser does not support ActiveX controls, or support for ActiveX controls is disabled.


    Background:
    The WSS site, data and applications all live on a single server.
    I have investigated the AAM solutions posted here and elsewhere and all seems to be correct. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/e21607ad-5372-4ced-97f3-c54d200e0122 and http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/7757138f-6d25-4c4e-aed6-d98058b863c1

    I have confirmed that Windows Sharepoint Services Components were installed on the client PCs  Note also that this issue occurs on every PC I have tried.  The PCs have had either Windows XP Pro SP3/Office 2003 Pro or Windows Vista Business SP2/Office 2007 Ultimate.

    I have even tried the ows.js edit route even though I understand that is for WSS 2.0 (still no luck). http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/2744888b-9f39-442e-89b3-73c1df10f702

    I've added the server to trusted sites on the client PCs and ensured that ActiveX settings are correct

    Also, to be clear (but redundant), This issue does not occur on any other list.

    Since this seems to happen on all PCs regardless of browser (I tried both IE7 and 8 on both XP and Vista) and only happens on one list, I'm thinking something must be sideways in the database.  Anyone have a better idea?

    Thanks,
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:39 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    As stated in your links this issue is most often a AAM problem.  Or it also can be a certificate issue.  Is the site you are hitting a SSL site and if so is there a certificate on the WSS server?

    Thanks,

    Aseem Nayar - MSFT

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by AseemN Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, September 4, 2009 8:44 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:45 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    As stated in your links this issue is most often a AAM problem.  Or it also can be a certificate issue.  Is the site you are hitting a SSL site and if so is there a certificate on the WSS server?

    Thanks,

    Aseem Nayar - MSFT

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by AseemN Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, September 4, 2009 8:44 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Aseem.
     
    The cert part of your reply seems to have given me the clue I needed.

    The server is completly self contained and hosts it's own SSL Cert (from godaddy.com).  I had made sure that my internal DNS server had suitable zone entries for the server name I was using to access from the internet and I had been through the AAM settings to make sure they all agreed but I missed one HTTP - HTTPS setting on the Default zone for my problem site.  I must have looked at that screen a dozen times and not seen it.

    Thanks for the help,
    Geoffrey
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:53 PM