Windows 7 Prompting for Authentication When Accessing SharePoint Documents , works fine for XP Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have configured my site (sharepoint 2007 ) to allow anonymous access, and we can browse the pages fine.

If we try to open the word document through the IE Browser on the XP Operating System machine the document opens fine without any login prompt.

But when we try to open the word document through the IE Browser on the Windows 7 Operating System machine the system asks for a login. If you click cancel the document opens correctly.

As this is a public facing site, Is there anyway to stop this login prompt from happening?

Thanks for any insites..

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:24 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:50 PM

Answers

• Is it possible that the Internet Explorer browser on the windows XP machine has already saved the username and password and is using an auto login?

Or you might need to make sure you don't have the following in Internet Explorer checked:

Tools --> Internet Options --> Security --> (Iternet or Trusted Sites [depending on your settings]) --> Custom Level --> User Authentication --> Logon --> Automatic Logon with current user name and password???

Brian T. Shell
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:47 PM

All replies

• Is it possible that the Internet Explorer browser on the windows XP machine has already saved the username and password and is using an auto login?

Or you might need to make sure you don't have the following in Internet Explorer checked:

Tools --> Internet Options --> Security --> (Iternet or Trusted Sites [depending on your settings]) --> Custom Level --> User Authentication --> Logon --> Automatic Logon with current user name and password???

Brian T. Shell
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:47 PM
  • HI Brian,

I have the same issue and after following the steps specified by you still I am facing the same.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:26 AM