none
No database listed in Dashboard Designer when creating a new datasource (PS 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create a dashboard and I am following the steps shown in a MS video.  The first step is to create a data source (Analysis Services).  After entering the server name, I need to select the Database from a drop down list, I click on the drop arrow, it indicates loading, but the list is empty.

Is there a special setup required for having this working?  Note that MSProject visual reports and the Business Intelligence center reports are working fine.  So my security setup seems OK.

Thanks! 

Ben

Friday, October 1, 2010 6:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suspect that the user doesn't have permission on the Analysis Cube.

Try this:

Open SQL management studio --> Connect to Analysis Service -->Right click the server and click propertie ---> Add 'Everyone' in the security (for testing purpose) --> later check the status in your Dashboard

-If this works, it means that the user doesn't have permission.

-Try to check the behaviour through UDL connection

-Try to access the Analysis Cube through EXCEL application to isolate the issue

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Friday, October 1, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi,  thanks for your help. 

I was not able to add everyone, but I add my user ID and it did not work.

However, I notice that there is nothing in the Databases folder of Analysis Services.  That is probably why the drop down list is empty in Dashboard designer.

Any idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Have you built an OLAP cube from PWA? If not, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff465341.aspx. (Keep in mind that the BI center reports that ship with Project Server 2010 run against the Reporting database rather than a cube.)
    • Marked as answer by Benoit1 Monday, October 25, 2010 5:01 PM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Hi Mike!  You are right, an OLAP cube was never built. 

Thank you very much!

Benoit

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:01 PM
  • In my situation, I didn't deploy a project server, and same create a data source (Analysis Services)

and I got blank after few second a "loading" displayed

times to search different article and created another PerformancePoint service, and unattended account again,

I change the sql server type with sql tables in Dashboard designer

It's worked :)

I guess this because I have not any idea about SQL analysis service, there is nothing in the sql analysis database, it should do something to generate some record in the analysis environment.

It means that you SPS configuration is correct, just the book and the article not alert you must has something in analysis service

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:58 PM