none
GPO logging

Question

• I am trying to figure out what is happening when our GPO's run.  I want to see which one takes the longest.  I found this link:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/944043  and near the bottom they have a section called "How to enable logging in the Gpsvc.log file"  I have followed this to the letter and I never get a gpsvc.log created.   This is all being done on a Windows 7 32-bit machine.  

How come this file does not get created?  And is there another way to find out which GPO takes the longest to execute?  

mqh7

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Agree with Joseph__Moody.

Open the event log (eventvwr.exe from the search/command box). Open Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> GroupPolicy and click on Operational.

Events 4016 and 5016 show the start and end of processing of groups of policies, including how long it took to apply each one in the end event.

Event 5312 shows policies that will be applied, and 5317 shows policies that are explicitly filtered out.

Events 8000 and 8001 respectively show the total processing time for computer boot and user boot GP processing, and 8006 and 8007 show the same for interim/periodic GP processing.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by mqh7 Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:38 AM

All replies