Deployment by gpo requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I want to deploy forefront client security by gpo and from what im readiing this does not sem to be as simple as just popping in the msi file to the gpo software settings policy as in other msi software.

Am I right in saying that we also require the wsus role (not ez as we only have 1 heavily taxed dc and Ive read this is not a good idea) and others additional software?  My technical knowledge is basic so I need this in a more laymans description as to how to make this happen and what additional things I require that is beyond the normal straightforward msi deploy.

I have looked this all up on google but alas im still a tad confused. I have no problem following a series of steps but as of yet am not great with ambiguity. Does anyone have the ability to translate this for me ?

Thanks for reading.

confuseis
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi confuseis,

Thank you for your post.

1. The latest FCS client packet is 1.0.1736.0(KB2508824) and we could download it only from WSUS. Not exist FCS clientsetup MSI packet. WSUS is required for client packet and Definition update.
    2. No need to deploy FCS via GPO. After you install FCS server/WSUS/push FCS policy to clients, clients will install FCS clients automatically via WSUS.
    3. If you want to deploy standalone FCS, use command "clientsetup /nomom". In the case, you could use psexec tool/GPP registry runonce script/GPP run schedule task to push FCS client.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan

• Marked as answer by Rick Tan Friday, November 4, 2011 6:39 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi confuseis,

Thank you for your post.

1. The latest FCS client packet is 1.0.1736.0(KB2508824) and we could download it only from WSUS. Not exist FCS clientsetup MSI packet. WSUS is required for client packet and Definition update.
    2. No need to deploy FCS via GPO. After you install FCS server/WSUS/push FCS policy to clients, clients will install FCS clients automatically via WSUS.
    3. If you want to deploy standalone FCS, use command "clientsetup /nomom". In the case, you could use psexec tool/GPP registry runonce script/GPP run schedule task to push FCS client.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan

• Marked as answer by Rick Tan Friday, November 4, 2011 6:39 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Im getting a clearer picture now, I appreciate your reply

Thanks Rick

confuseis
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:28 PM