none
After Exchange 2007 to 2013 Coexistance, External email not received

Question

• Hi all,

I've added an Exchange 2013 server to an existing domain containing an Exchange 2007 server. All went well and mail flows fine back and forth between 2007 and 2013.  I am also able to send an email to an external address from 2013 and it is received. however when i try to reply it never comes back into 2013. 

The mailbox i am emailing resides on the 2013 server. What confuses me is that when i send out of 2013 i can see that it uses the send connector on the 2007 server and so flows through it, but it seems as if the 2007 server wont allow itself to relay the return email back through to 2013.

Where should i check in order to get more info? What could the issue be? I dont get any bouncebacks at all. Thanks

Friday, February 5, 2016 11:00 PM

Answers

• 1 and 3 don't apply if mail goes through Exchange 2007 as stated.  That is, unless you changed your mail flow, mail to an Exchange 2013 mailbox goes:

Internet > Exchange 2007 > Exchange 2013

maybe with something between the Internet and Exchange 2007 that wasn't disclosed here.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Marked as answer by iriseye1 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:34 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:52 AM

All replies

• Everything you describe is perfectly normal except for the mail not coming into Exchange 2013.  If you didn't make any changes to transport routing, i.e., the send connectors for outbound, and the firewall, DNS or SMTP relay server for inbound mail, it should flow just fine into Exchange 2007 and then to Exchange 2013.  If you say that message flows from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013, then inbound SMTP mail from the Internet should have no trouble getting there either.

I would start looking at message tracking to see what's happening to the inbound messages.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

1: Run the test to check the mail flow

http://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

2: Check for the relevant event id if you can get any to isolate the issue.

3: Did to tried creating Receive connector in Exchagne 2013 and checked if you are able to receive emails.

For more info creating Receive connector:

http://www.techrid.com/exchange-server-2010/mailflow/configuring-receive-connector-in-exchange-2016/

Regards,

Praveen

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts on Exchange 2016 @ Techrid.com

Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:22 AM
  • 1 and 3 don't apply if mail goes through Exchange 2007 as stated.  That is, unless you changed your mail flow, mail to an Exchange 2013 mailbox goes:

Internet > Exchange 2007 > Exchange 2013

maybe with something between the Internet and Exchange 2007 that wasn't disclosed here.

• Marked as answer by iriseye1 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:34 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 1:52 AM