IE activeX control failure RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem, as it's really starting to bug me now.

After installing SP3 onto a number of workstations, one of our locally hosted web application features stopped working. This site is in the trusted sites and the print feature is question worked under SP2. The activeX controls are installed on the local machine (don't ask me why, it's what i have to deal with).

No GPO changes have been made for SP3. Checking under what is allowed for the trusted sites zone and all activeX options are set to be allowed.

I found that by going into Internet Options > Advanced Tab > 'Allow active content to run in files on my computer'. Checking that option makes the print function work. But by checking that option opens up another whole can of worms security wise so i'd like to steer clear of that one.

The next bit i found was MS KB article: 182569, which details a registry setting 'Security_HKLM_Only' (which on my system is set to 1). By setting this to 0 all of a sudden the activeX control works.

I've been playing around with the registry settings for IE zones for a while now and haven't come up with practically empty handed. There has to be some subtle difference between SP2 and SP3 thats stoppped the activeX control from working.

Monday, September 29, 2008 7:48 AM

Answers

• fixed it myself. kb947513 details of a known issue with Security_HKLM_Only reg key and IE using HTTP 1.0 GET requests.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:59 AM

All replies

• Little more info: Our group policy settings set: "Security Zones: Use only machine settings" to enabled. As from the previous post if i change Security_HKLM_Only reg key to 0 then the activeX control works.

Anyone?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:33 AM
  • Please someone??

Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:06 PM
  • fixed it myself. kb947513 details of a known issue with Security_HKLM_Only reg key and IE using HTTP 1.0 GET requests.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:59 AM