none
Polycom phone not picking up IP via MS DHCP - but picking up ok from freeware DHCP ON SAME SERVER RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a windows 2012 R2 DHCP server.

It issues addresses no problem to my Laptops and computers at our site.

However it is not issuing addresses to our Polycom Phones.

Flat network, single IP range covers phones and Computers.

When I install a freeware DHCP server onto the same Windows 2012 box the polycom phones pick up addresses no problem.

Wireshark reveals the 2012 box seeing the DHCPDiscover packet, however it never repsonds with a DHCPOffer.

when I use the freeware one - it responds right away with the offer.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Gctechnetacc,

>>Wireshark reveals the 2012 box seeing the DHCPDiscover packet, however it never repsonds with a DHCPOffer.

Did you mean that DHCP server received DHCPDiscover packet from phone?

>>It issues addresses no problem to my Laptops and computers at our site.

Did other clients that were in the same subnet with phone obtain IP address from DHCP server?

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 16, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Hi John thanks for coming back,

When I run wireshark on the NIC of the DHCP server, it sees the DHCP Discover coming form the phone.

But no response goes back that's the end of the conversation.

Did other clients that were in the same subnet with phone obtain IP address from DHCP server?

Answer: No - this behaviour is against all IP phones.  A couple picked up IP eventually but it seemed to take around an hour or so.

EDIT - the phones are picking up IP - but its taking around an hour or so.

We also see this behaviour with a swipe card terminal - it also took about an hour to pick up IP.

It appears NON-MS clients are mainly affected. Windows kit is fine.

I have removed DHCP and added back in a couple of times now, including removing old MDB file. problem persists.

Friday, December 16, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Fixed!

Issue was anti-virus installed on DHCP server.  Why it only affected MS DHCP I don't know.

cheers everyone.

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Monday, December 19, 2016 8:12 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 1:09 PM
  • Hi Gctechnetacc,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:12 AM