Software Deployments only run when computer shutsdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a problem when deploying software via SCE.
    I have the clients set to "automatic" every day at 3pm.
    When I publish a package, the clients download it ok but they wont install the package whilst the computer is running
    It will only try and install the package when the computer gets shutdown at night. It says please do not switch off your
    computer, installing updates. It stays like this in a continous loop and the computer never shutsdown. We have to kill the computer to get it to
    shutdown. The next day, the package never trys to install. When we go to shutdown again the next night, away goes the update again. hanging
    in a continous loop. Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before?

Thanks
    Bob
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi, yes this is all configured properly. I found out what it was. I deployed my own msi package and the clients detected & installed it fine.
    The problem is with a third party exe setup that we are trying to install via SCE. The exe setup was compiled with the free "Inno Setup".
    Trying to deploy any setup package created with "Inno Setup" via SCE just hangs the clients on shutdown. I will now focus my efforts on
    why "Inno Setup" does not like SCE.

Thanks
    Bob
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

Please check the SCE Managed Computers group policy on your DC, make sure the follwoing setting has been properly configured:

1. Computer configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Updates, choose "Configure Automatic Updates", make sure it has been configured as "Auto Download and schedule the install"

2. Make sure "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation" has been enabled.

3. Make sure "Allow non-administrators to receive the notification" has been enabled.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hi, yes this is all configured properly. I found out what it was. I deployed my own msi package and the clients detected & installed it fine.
    The problem is with a third party exe setup that we are trying to install via SCE. The exe setup was compiled with the free "Inno Setup".
    Trying to deploy any setup package created with "Inno Setup" via SCE just hangs the clients on shutdown. I will now focus my efforts on
    why "Inno Setup" does not like SCE.

Thanks
    Bob
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:30 PM