Increased mailbox limit on one mailbox - How long until it takes? RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all.  

This past week we had migrated from 2010 to 2013.  A few mailboxes are full and I understand why this happened.  What I don't fully understand is that when we edit the limits on individual mailboxes, the change doesn't seem to take right away.  I made the change via EAC if that make any difference.

Is there a way to trigger this so that so that the end users see the results faster?  The test I did was to simply send an email from OWA after I increased the mailbox but I got an NDR and OWA was warning me even before I sent the email that the recipient's box was full.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:49 PM

Answers

• I don't have a definite answer to your question. But I believe a lot of Exchange components maintaians their own cache. In your scenario, if the transport service maintain its cache, AD access is reduce. It helps to offload domain controller and network.

So my recommendation is to be a bit patient unless it takes prolong.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 3:01 PM
  • This reg key still works in 2013 from what I have seen:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb684892%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I generally set to 20 minutes.

If you want to make the change even more immediate, start a mailbox move on that mailbox. Once the quota change takes affect, you can cancel the move. I have seen it take a few minutes before the new quota is applies after starting the move request.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:07 PM

All replies

• I don't have a definite answer to your question. But I believe a lot of Exchange components maintaians their own cache. In your scenario, if the transport service maintain its cache, AD access is reduce. It helps to offload domain controller and network.

So my recommendation is to be a bit patient unless it takes prolong.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 3:01 PM
  • We usually tell people to wait a couple of hours for the change to take effect.  Like Li Zhen said, AD replication needs to happen across domain controllers/sites, and then there are certain AD attributes that Exchange caches and doesn't look up every time it needs it, so you have to hit on that interval as well.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:03 PM
  • This reg key still works in 2013 from what I have seen:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb684892%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I generally set to 20 minutes.

If you want to make the change even more immediate, start a mailbox move on that mailbox. Once the quota change takes affect, you can cancel the move. I have seen it take a few minutes before the new quota is applies after starting the move request.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:07 PM