none
IE 10 Uninstall problem on Win7 sp1 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

•  Internet Explorer got auto-installed on a few of our systems here when it put on the "Important" windows update list, and we didn't realize that beforehand.  In our case, however, we came up with a compatibility problem with that and our time sheet software app.  I tried to uninstall using the method Control Panel.. Programs and Features.. Turn Windows features on and off.. Unchecking Internet Explorer 10.   After a reboot,however, IE is completely uninstalled, leaving no browser at all.  And trying to reinstall IE9 using a downloaded msi installer also fails, with a "Internet Explorer is already installed" error.  I had to fix several machines with system restores to last week to get back to IE 9.

How can I safely downgrade to IE9 from IE 10?

James A. Helfer | COMPUTER SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR WTW ARCHITECTS | PITTSBURGH PA

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:57 PM

Answers

• Removing Internet Explorer 10 from Windows 7:
    1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then select View installed updates in the left pane.
    2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
      • Right-click Internet Explorer 10, click Uninstall, and when prompted, click Yes.
    3. Click one of the following:
      • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 10 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
      • Restart later

Cf.: How do I remove Internet Explorer from Windows as a troubleshooting step?

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Jim Helfer Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:24 PM

All replies

• Removing Internet Explorer 10 from Windows 7:
    1. Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then select View installed updates in the left pane.
    2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
      • Right-click Internet Explorer 10, click Uninstall, and when prompted, click Yes.
    3. Click one of the following:
      • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 10 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
      • Restart later

Cf.: How do I remove Internet Explorer from Windows as a troubleshooting step?

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Jim Helfer Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:24 PM
  •   OK, that worked perfectly. Thanks!

James A. Helfer | COMPUTER SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR WTW ARCHITECTS | PITTSBURGH PA

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:56 PM
  • OK, that worked perfectly. Thanks!

Excellent.

You're welcome & Thanks for the feedback, James.

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    My MVP Profile

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:16 PM