SCCM Portal KB Articles Increasing Numbers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running SCCM 2012 R2 Update 7 and trying to use SCSM to upload new KB articles.

When uploading the articles through Service Manager, I get a strange numbering effect. Clicking "Create Knowledge Article" will open a new KB page and use a unused number, example KB22. However, even if nothing is added and the form is canceled it uses that number and then skips to the next even number (KB24).

I need it to not use numbers for forms that are not created and for it not to skip to the next even number. Thoughts?

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

i think what you are talking about is SCSM not SCCM?!

And how do you upload KB Articles through the Portal? Do you use a third-party portal?!

I have tried it in my own environment using the SCSM console. I found the same behaviour.

I will try to find out why this happens?!

This also happens to Incidents etc. .... by the way

Regards

Eric

Microsoft MVP Cloud and Datacenter Management
    Microsoft Partner Technical Solutions Professional (P-TSP)
    --
    www.ericberg.de
    @ericberg_de
    --
    MCSE: Enterprise Devices and Apps | MCSE: Private Cloud | MCSE: Server Infrastructure | MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:39 PM
  • Yes, using SCSM to upload the KB articles which then appear on the HTML5 portal.

If it happens on your environment as well, then perhaps there is a reason it does this by default. Research and testing has come up short.

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Have a look at this article.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/04/06/faq-why-don-t-work-item-ids-increment-uniformly.aspx

It is by design, each time you open up a work item, the ID is increased, even for internal IDs like workflows, etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Eric

--
    www.ericberg.de
    @ericberg_de
    --
    MCSE: Enterprise Devices and Apps | MCSE: Private Cloud | MCSE: Server Infrastructure | MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure

Monday, January 11, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Also have look here:

Moreover, you can reset counter:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/09/27/top-secret-trick-how-to-change-the-auto-incrementing-value-range.aspx

BTW. You can assign specific value for auto incremented field using XML import or SDK (PowerShell too)

Thanks to CDM MVP Group who helped to solve this question.

Regards

Eric

--
    www.ericberg.de
    @ericberg_de
    --

Monday, January 11, 2016 10:03 PM
  • Hey Eric,

Thanks for the links. I'll look through the database change as shown above and hopefully fix it that way. Appreciate the help!

Monday, January 11, 2016 10:21 PM