none
Change theme in base image

Question

• I have a base Win 7 SP1 x64 image in which I used the unattend.xml file to copy the administrator's profile settings to the default user by using the CopyProfile setting. I would like to change the theme of that profile without recreating the image. I have already tried to use the Themes section from amd_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup with no luck. My guess is that the CopyProfile is overriding that setting from the OOBE. Any thoughts or ideas on how I could automate this theme change via MDT 2012?
    Friday, August 10, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

•  I added a custom wallaper to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\d<//wbr>efault.jpg in my .wim and called it out in the answer file (oobe) Windows Shell Setup >Themes> DesktopBackground =c:\windows\web\wallpaper\<//wbr>default.jpg

You have to fully populate the theme settings, these are mine:

<Themes>
    <DefaultThemesOff>false</<//wbr>DefaultThemesOff>
    <DesktopBackground>%WINDIR<//wbr>%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\default<//wbr>.jpg</<//wbr>DesktopBackground>
    <ThemeName>UNH</ThemeName>
    <WindowColor>Frost</<//wbr>WindowColor>
    </Themes>
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Orrison Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:19 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 4:42 PM

All replies

• You could create an application with a commandline similar to this:

rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:"SomeCustom.themepack"

Friday, August 10, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Thanks! That works great for the profile in which the command is run. I am more looking for a theme change to the default user. Could I still leverage this command for that?
    Friday, August 10, 2012 3:13 PM
  •  I added a custom wallaper to c:\windows\web\wallpaper\d<//wbr>efault.jpg in my .wim and called it out in the answer file (oobe) Windows Shell Setup >Themes> DesktopBackground =c:\windows\web\wallpaper\<//wbr>default.jpg

You have to fully populate the theme settings, these are mine:

<Themes>
    <DefaultThemesOff>false</<//wbr>DefaultThemesOff>
    <DesktopBackground>%WINDIR<//wbr>%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\default<//wbr>.jpg</<//wbr>DesktopBackground>
    <ThemeName>UNH</ThemeName>
    <WindowColor>Frost</<//wbr>WindowColor>
    </Themes>
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Orrison Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:19 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 4:42 PM
  • What if I just want to set the theme back to the default Windows 7 theme? Do I still need to populate all the fields?
    Friday, August 10, 2012 4:49 PM
  • do you want to change the theme default them that is captured in your image to a differnt theme? if so follow my posting about

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Right. I captured the image with a custom wallpaper. That wallpaper is applied to each new user that logs in as I used the CopyProfile parameter in the unattend.xml. I would just like to now swap it to the Windows 7 theme.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 5:31 PM
  • use gpo and your done
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Yah I noticed that you could do this by GPO. Is there a way you can send this policy out through MDT 2012? I was looking into GPO Packs and the theme policy isn't in the list in SCM.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Awesome! That worked! I must not have filled in all the necessary fields. I populated every field except BrandIcon. Thanks for the help!
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:20 PM