How to avoid bloating WSUS server with hundreds of gigabytes unwanted Windows 10 update files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are installing a brand new Server 2019 as WSUS server.  Most of our clients computers have been deployed with Windows 10 Pro (Build 10.0.18362.30).  But occasionally there are 1803, 1809 and 1903 computers connecting too, needing to be offered full upgrades to 1909.  All are Windows 10 Pro, no S or LTS editions...

A freshly installed WSUS server come with ALL windows versions and editions checked.  Even with only the different Win 10 versions and editions checked the WSUS filestore will grow to more that 500+ gigabyte.  So, in our case we need both current updates AND upgrades from 1803, 1903, 1909 and later, which product(s) do we actually select?  Logically I would think that  the product 'Windows 10 Version 1803 and later Upgrade & Servicing drivers' would do for ALL future updates AND upgrades, but that was not the case.  And I have read in this forum that it is not a good idea to have WSUS install drivers for Win10.

So please help me which WSUS product checkboxes we need to check to properly maintain and upgrade ONLY Windows 10 Pro from 1803 and all future versions…?

Thanks a lot for help on this.

best regards Tor

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I think the reason for the large volume of update files is that you are using WSUS for drivers approval. My suggestion is to consider deselecting the "Drivers" in classifications list and then run the WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard to clean it up.
    Driver through WSUS approval is actually not my recommendation. If you need to use WSUS for driver approval, please refer to the method mentioned in the following article to selectively import and approve: "Reduce your WSUS Server Footprint by Selectively Importing Drivers."

Secondly, for the system feature fix updates and monthly rollup updates of Windows 10, please consider choosing the following products and Classifications:

• Products
      -  Windows 10
      -  Windows 10, version 1903 and later

• Classifications
      -  Critical Updates
      -  Security Updates
      -  Updates
      -  Definition Update

This will provide most of the updates needed for daily repairs.
    Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:40 AM