none
Roaming Profile Size Limit

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to implement roaming profiles with a size limit of a maximum 500MB per user. As long as i exclude App data, this is not a problem, however, setting the size limit in group policy sets a limit on both the locally stored profile AND the network copy. I am trying to avoid using folder redirection as i would like the copy of the roaming profile to double as a backup for users documents etc. so i would like the user to have a locally stored profile.

The question I'm asking is, is there a way to set a size limit on the profile copy being stored on the network only? That way, i can implement roaming profiles to only make a copy of Desktop, documents, downloads and favorites.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 12:30 PM

Answers

• You can exclude paths in the users profile such as ..appdata\Roaming\MyVendor\MyBigApp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/814592

However, your profile size is calculated on the size of the local databefore the roaming profile is synchronised with the server copy on logoff so your users will the size limit messages even though the server copy is under the quota.

The way to go is with disk quotas.  This is also not without problems as the users wont get a friendly message telling them their profile is over size (as it would with setting the max size to the user) and just get told they are over their disk quota on the profile share. As you'd imagine this generates lots more support calls. You can partially deal with this by putting in a logoff script that checks the profile size minus the excluded folders and shows a message box if it's over size before the profile is written back to the server and generates the un-user friendly quota alert. You message can be much more taylored to how to cut their profile size down or even clear out the excluded folders automatically if that's what you want.

It's not very graceful but the best solution I've found.

Best of luck!

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 2:12 PM

All replies

• 1. Consider quotas on target server.

2. Consider change of personal data management.

3. Suggested limit seems to be relatively high.

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 1:12 PM
  • You can exclude paths in the users profile such as ..appdata\Roaming\MyVendor\MyBigApp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/814592

However, your profile size is calculated on the size of the local databefore the roaming profile is synchronised with the server copy on logoff so your users will the size limit messages even though the server copy is under the quota.

The way to go is with disk quotas.  This is also not without problems as the users wont get a friendly message telling them their profile is over size (as it would with setting the max size to the user) and just get told they are over their disk quota on the profile share. As you'd imagine this generates lots more support calls. You can partially deal with this by putting in a logoff script that checks the profile size minus the excluded folders and shows a message box if it's over size before the profile is written back to the server and generates the un-user friendly quota alert. You message can be much more taylored to how to cut their profile size down or even clear out the excluded folders automatically if that's what you want.

It's not very graceful but the best solution I've found.

Best of luck!

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 2:12 PM