WSUS 6.3.9600.16384 and client disappearing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have installed a month ago a brand new Windows 2012 R2 WSUS server (fresh installation), with all last patch/updates (we didn't have one, so no migrations or something else are done).

I have activated WSUS and created its policy for all users in my domain.

Now I'm encountering a strange problem: ALL computers in domain are correctly registered on WSUS (if I check on local clients desktop on windows update I see that updates are managed by administrator), but from the WSUS console I don't see all computers, only a part of them.

The funny things is that if I run "wuauclt /detectnow"on a client that is not showing on wsus console, it suddenly appear on wsus console but take the place of another random client that disappear...

Have you ever seen such issue?

There isn't any eventlog with warnings or errors or any problem during installation.

Thanks

Manuel

Edit: all client are phisical, so no virtual cloning are involved

• Edited by Sicorspa Friday, September 18, 2015 7:38 AM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 7:35 AM

Answers

• The funny things is that if I run "wuauclt /detectnow"on a client that is not showing on wsus console, it suddenly appear on wsus console but take the place of another random client that disappear...

The only known reason for this behaviour is that the client that appeared and the client that disappeared have the same SusClientId. That is because SusClientId is what WSUS uses for identification. Not the computername. 

If you check the "SusClientId" value data at "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" on the appearing and the disappearing clients I guess that they are the same.

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 12:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 1:59 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2015 11:10 AM
  • I missed your second post, in my first answer but I notice that you indeed have the duplicate SusClientId issue.

"Something" in your environment is certainly distributing that value to computers, if you are not using any variant of imaging/cloning it could be a GPO/GPP, a registry file, a poorly made application object etc, etc. 

• Edited by Rolf Lidvall Friday, September 18, 2015 11:29 AM spelling
    Friday, September 18, 2015 11:28 AM

All replies

• Ok, I have found that like this issue

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c331d314-2f04-4b07-a3fd-878183b8101d/wsus-clients-appear-then-disappear-in-console?forum=winserverwsus

2 of this client have both the same SusClientId value, but my doubt is another one:
    both pc are phisical, buyed on different time and manually installed each. How could be that both have the same SusClientId?
    Could this be an allert of a greater issue in my domain or could I only fix this issue without any other concern?

Friday, September 18, 2015 7:52 AM
  • The funny things is that if I run "wuauclt /detectnow"on a client that is not showing on wsus console, it suddenly appear on wsus console but take the place of another random client that disappear...

The only known reason for this behaviour is that the client that appeared and the client that disappeared have the same SusClientId. That is because SusClientId is what WSUS uses for identification. Not the computername. 

If you check the "SusClientId" value data at "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" on the appearing and the disappearing clients I guess that they are the same.

Friday, September 18, 2015 11:10 AM
  • I missed your second post, in my first answer but I notice that you indeed have the duplicate SusClientId issue.

"Something" in your environment is certainly distributing that value to computers, if you are not using any variant of imaging/cloning it could be a GPO/GPP, a registry file, a poorly made application object etc, etc. 

• Edited by Rolf Lidvall Friday, September 18, 2015 11:29 AM spelling
    Friday, September 18, 2015 11:28 AM