none
BitLocker key is where? RRS feed

• Question

• I was going to use BitLocker on my Surface Pro and tried to save it to the first option on the list - "Save to your Cloud Domain account". Now here's where the fun starts. The Surface is my own and I'm logged into it with a Microsoft account. I also have a business Office 365 account. Naturally that's accessed via this machine as well. I also have a work account from my current client (I'm a contractor). So now I go looking for the BitLocker Key. I'm not stupid and have saved a copy to a USB stick and haven't yet encrypted the drive (I'm about to), but on my Mictosoft account it tells me there are no BitLocker keys saved there. I logged in to my clients Azure account and checked for BitLocker keys but the only one there is for their laptop (needed to access some of the corporate network and submit invoices/timesheets). Going in to my own Office365 account (and logging into the Azure stuff) there's nothing there either.

So just where is this key stored?

Friday, June 22, 2018 8:32 AM

All replies

• When you Azure AD join your device and activate Bitlocker, you get the option to store the Recovery Key in Azure AD.

If you ever wonder where to find them, they are all available from the Details Window for your registered devices in the Azure AD Management Portal.

A few easy steps to get there

Open Azure AD in the Management Portal

https://manage.windowsazure.com

Open the Users tab and search/browse for the account you need to find recovery key for, then open it.

Go to the Devices tab, and in the View box, select Devices.

Select the affected device, and click View Details.

All registered keys should be visible

Accessing the BitLocker Recovery Key in Azure Active Directory

https://celedonpartners.com/blog/storing-recovering-bitlocker-keys-azure-active-directory/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 25, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:47 AM