none
Retention Policy not working

Question

• I have a mailbox which has emails from 4 years ago in the inbox only.  This email box is only set to receive emails.  I applied a retention policy on this mailbox yesterday to delete anything older then 1 year.  But it did not work.  Appreciate your help.
    Friday, June 29, 2018 5:18 PM

All replies

• How long have you waited?

Have you tried to run Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity MailboxName?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/policy-and-compliance-retention/start-managedfolderassistant?view=exchange-ps

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, June 30, 2018 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this thread? If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 9:18 AM
  • I thought I'd add something to this thread so it doesn't necro... Basically, I have the same issue (as, apparently, MANY other people): created retention tags & policies, applied to mailbox, they don't run. Forced run with Start-ManagedFolderAssistant, still won't run.  My environment is two-site Ex2013 CU20 DAG running on Server 2012R2 machines.  No, I have no intention up updating to CU21 as this problem has existed for COUNTLESS previous CU's, and I'm not going to risk further problems with CU21 if it won't guaranteed fix the retention policy issue.

I've had a single tag to permanently delete Deleted Items after 2 days running OK for one year (it does it in 3 days, not two, but whatever).  Created a new tag for entire mailbox to move all items over 90 days to in-place Archive (yes, we have the correct licenses). Added that tag to existing retention policy with already working 2-day delete tag, removed policy from mailbox, re-applied policy to mailbox, re-ran Start-ManagedFolderAssistant, no go.

That was last week.  Absolutely nothing has been moved to in-place archive.  There are NUMEROUS threads on NUMEROUS board about Retention Policies being just plain broken in Ex2013: is this the case?  Has MS confirmed that retention policies are broken?  Is there a fix?  Patch?  Recommendation to abandon Ex2013 and start using Ex2016?  Do retention policies work CORRECTLY in Ex2016?

Licenses are correct, have confirmed that custom policy *is* applied to test mailbox, can confirm that NOTHING is being moved to in-place archive.  Can confirm that tags & policies were setup and implemented per MS instructions (as well as several other MVP and training instructions).  At this point I really want someone from MS to confirm they're broken so I can stop wasting time on bugs in the product.

Thanks.

Steve In Reno

Monday, July 9, 2018 9:02 PM