Server 2012 won't process updates following update failure RRS feed

• Question

• I’m experiencing corruption to the update process in my Server 2012 Datacenter, which functions as the domain controller for a small network.  It has confounded all known attempts at correction, which is why I’m here.

I strongly believe that the monkey wrench in this case was a small servicing stack update (KB4532090) that was installed out of sequence.  It was left over from the previous batch of updates, and when the new updates (as of 1/18) arrived, it was not the first update to be applied, and failed:

Since this failure, additional updates cannot be applied.  I’m stuck with the two remaining ones from 1/18.  They install correctly to the “reboot” notification, but you never get the “installing … 30%” and “configuring … 100%” dialogues during shutdown and startup.

I’ve run the reset script for updates that shuts down the related services, renames relevant directories,   and restarts the services.  But the problem remains: you still don’t get any low-level notifications that any updates are being installed or configured.

I thought that I’d found a magic bullet in this thread, where someone suggested removing the Desktop Experience as a remedy for a lot of update woes --.  But the powershell command -- Get-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience | Uninstall-WindowsFeature failed on this machine.  I got this result.

Can anyone see a way out of this?  It's obviously pretty low-level.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 4:58 PM

All replies

• Have you tried the PSWindowsUpdate module in PowerShell?

First update your WMF to 5.1 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54616

The open Admin PS window...run these commands to install the Modules...

Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate  

Add-WUServiceManager -ServiceID 7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d

Now you can use PSWindowsUpdate command to run updates.

E.g this will install every available MS update it finds from MS update servers that applies to your server.

Get-WUInstall –MicrosoftUpdate –AcceptAll –IgnoreReboot -Install

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:52 PM
  • Hi,

For errors that occur during the client installation of the update, providing the necessary installation error codes will help you better analyze the problem you are experiencing.

My suggestion is to consider the wizard tips given by Fix Windows Update errors first. For Windows Server 2012 system, please refer to the solution of Windows 8 system.

If you still cannot install KB4532920 through Windows Update, consider downloading the installation file for KB4532920 to install manually.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:46 AM
  • Thank you for the informed response, but my woes continue -- I also can't successfully update powershell.

I've tried everything at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources, and run the WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab utility.  I've successfully installed updates like malware remover that don't  require a reboot.  But if a reboot is required, the update always fails because the OS "installing updates" and "configuring updates" phases NEVER LAUNCH.  What can be KEEPING them from launching after being "told" by Windows that there are updates pending?

• Edited by ArtSnob Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

Are these server-installed updates approved from the WSUS server?
    If it is from a WSUS server, please consider approving the SSU separately for installation. After the installation is complete, approve other required updates.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 27, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, February 3, 2020 2:13 AM