Changing Dsiplay Name for "My Documents" RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We are using Windows 7 Enterprise, Server 2008, and 2008 DC.

While changing the location of the local “My Documents” folder to a network location (via the “Location” tab on the My Documents Properties dialog), the displayed name (not the actual folder name) for the network folder changes to “My Documents” from it’s original name (e.g. original network folder name = ..\Health\Health_Coordinator, after redirecting the local My Documents folder to the network location, the network folder displayed name = ..\Health\My Documents).

There are times when we have multiple users pointing to job specific folders in a given network location (..\Health) and when we point all of their “My Documents” folders to the network, we end up with multiple “My Documents” folders in our network location.  This is very confusing.

We have determined that if we go into the “My Documents” folder on the network and we delete the Desktop.ini file, the network folders display name of “My Documents” reverts back to it’s original job specific name (in the above example, the displayed name returns to ..\Health\Health_Coordinator).

Is this a feature?  If so, how can we turn it off?  Is there another, recommended, way to redirect the local My Documents folder to a location on the network, without changing the network folders display name?

Thank you,

David

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:42 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please check if the following KB article helps:

When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by T-T SHS Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:19 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:20 AM
  • Thank you for the response.  From the KB it looks like the solutions are all "work arounds".  Does this imply this is not a feature, but an issue that has been around since Vista.

We have had occurances when a security update is distributed by Windows Updates and all of the redirected folders are reset to "My Documents".  To correct these we have to go in and delete the desktop.ini file inside each of the folders located on the server.  Not difficult, but irritating.

David

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:05 PM