none
SSL Wrapper connection reliability RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows XP virtual machine running under VMware Player (version 3.0.0) on Windows 7 Enterprise and I'm connecting to my organisation's VPN using the Whale Communication Intelligent Application Gateway. All's well other than the fact that the VPN connection (the SSL Wrapper) drops every now and then for no apparent reason. This happens after half-an-hour or so. The dropped connection happens after a couple of minutes using version 3.0.1 of the VMware Player, so there's obviously an issue here. I've tested under XP Mode and this drops the connection whenever I resize the VM, so that's of no use to me either. Any ideas as to what's going on? I've also posted this question on the VMware Player forum.

Regards,
    Richard.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:13 PM

Answers

• The SSL VPN components are designed to drop the connection when they detect a network outage. I've personally seen some weird behavior with regards to network connectivity when VMs are in use, but there's little you can do.

If the connection drop is after exactly half an hour, check on the server and verify the app is not designed to disconnect after 30 minutes. If this is more random than that, you might try using another network card, esp. if the current one is a wireless or USB-based. We've also seen several cases where a wireless network or an ISP was generating small network outages that were unnoticable to the user, but noticable to the TCPIP Stack and were clearly visible in the IAG logs.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:47 PM

All replies

• The SSL VPN components are designed to drop the connection when they detect a network outage. I've personally seen some weird behavior with regards to network connectivity when VMs are in use, but there's little you can do.

If the connection drop is after exactly half an hour, check on the server and verify the app is not designed to disconnect after 30 minutes. If this is more random than that, you might try using another network card, esp. if the current one is a wireless or USB-based. We've also seen several cases where a wireless network or an ISP was generating small network outages that were unnoticable to the user, but noticable to the TCPIP Stack and were clearly visible in the IAG logs.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Hello Ben,

I've done a little digging and I think you're right, it looks like it's a timeout problem. I've read that the timeout for the SSL Wrapper (I'm running 3.7.195.0 by the way) is hard coded to 5 seconds, but it would seem that when running under a VM (XP Mode or VWware) the problem is exacerbated for some reason. Maybe it's a "clock" issue?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Richard.

Friday, March 12, 2010 5:20 PM