Access Denied When Trying To Use New External Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to gain access to the external hard drive that I recently installed on Windows 7.  Access Denied is the message I receive when I try to Browse Files.  I've tried every solution I've been able to locate.  Nothing works.  It's not considered a foreign disk.  I tried reformatting the drive.  I've tried adding SYSTEM to my owners list.  Is there anything I'm overlooking?  I'm a complete idiot as far as technology is concerned so it's extremely frustrating :(

Thanks! 

Saturday, July 1, 2017 8:24 PM

All replies

• It’s best to take ownership of the whole drive. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type the following two commands (note the spaces within the commands), each followed by the Enter key, then close the Command Prompt.

In the example, I have used drive d: as the drive and John as the user name, change both of them accordingly.

takeown /f d: /r
    icacls d: /grant John:F /t

Ninety-nine per cent of politicians behave badly and give the rest a bad name!

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, July 3, 2017 9:59 AM
    Sunday, July 2, 2017 7:18 AM
  • Find a flash drive or another external hard drive and see if they behave in the same fashion.

There is software that came with my HP computer that blocks communication with drives.

Had you been able to attach other drives without problems?

You can place your computer in clean boot to see if there is any software that is blocking the communication:

Open administrative command prompt:

1) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

2) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

3) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29876.how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10.aspx

Sunday, July 2, 2017 8:28 AM
  • I have been trying to gain access to the external hard drive that I recently installed on Windows 7.

In usual way, we cannot install Windows into an external device. Could you explain how did you install Windows 7 into the exgernal device?

Ashidacchi

Sunday, July 2, 2017 12:07 PM
  • Ashidacchi

My understanding is that the O/P has connected, not installed, an external drive to Windows 7 and cannot access it.

Ninety-nine per cent of politicians behave badly and give the rest a bad name!

Sunday, July 2, 2017 12:39 PM
  • BurrWalnut,
      Thank you for pointing out. I've found myself misunderstanding.

Totally Confused2,
      Have you created a new partition and formatted it in the new external Hard Drive?

Ashidacchi

Sunday, July 2, 2017 10:56 PM